Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a #2 condition 1972 chevelle Malibu 2Dr. Sport coupe with 36500 original miles. It has a beefed up 307 ie. cam, intake, carb. and 3 on the tree manual. I drive it about 300 miles a year and store it in the winters. Starting next summer I want to build a 425hp, 450ft. lbs. 383 and put in a Tremec 5spd. I already have a 8.2" with 3.73 gears and a locker. I also want to put a functioning Cowl hood and Bucket/ counsel combo. Am I ruining a great car? I had it appraised for 19400 for Insurance purposes. I know it isn't worth that much if I were to sell it cause it isn't a SS. I inherited it and I never want to sell it anyways. I don't want to race it, but I want to beat those rice rockets once in a while, and take it to the track once a summer. Is this going to ruin a classic? I have all the original engine parts and would rebuild the stock back to original, throw it and the tranny in storage.

·
Super Moderator
15,903 Posts
Personally, I'd leave it as it is. I like my cars original and stock, though I may be in the minority. But there are way too few original low mileage cars left. If you have the hankering to modify something, you could easily find another Chevelle out there that has already been messed up and modify that one. You could then have a pair of cool Chevelles and have the best of both worlds.

The modification you are talking about are pretty meaningful and it will alway be tough to go back to stock original. Any engine or trans put into storage will not hold up too well and could likely be ruined. If you want to put the engine in storage, make sure to change the oil just before you pull it and make sure to seal up ALL the openings to be air tight.

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
BRAD,
You will get varying opinions on this.
HERE IS THE BOTTOM LINE-------IT'S YUR CAR, DO WHAT YOU WANT. Take it out to a pasture, pour gas all over it and burn it, if that's what you want.
I have done basically the same thing to a similer 70 Malibu conv. It is a different, more appealing car now. Do it! Although I did not keep the original 307/3sp, that probably is a good idea (I bet it sets in storage forever).
There is one thing I would really encourage you to do with your proposed modifications. Your 10bolt will be very marginal with the drivetrain that you propose. Shop around until you find a 12bolt. It will cost more to repair/replace the broken 10bolt than it will to go ahead and find a 12bolt now. Also, your car probably has drum brakes. Right? Discs would be nice, I agree. If your brakes are in good shape, and you add premium quality metallic brake shoes, you will have an excellent set of brakes. The discs is something that could always be added later, but get the 12bolt now.
I added a SB400, Muncie, 12bolt posi and a COMPLETE, repo CI hood system and the car is a totally different car. The CI Hood changes a Malibu into an aggressive looking machine, if you don't do another thing. I personally, don't like the stripes, so I didn't have them put on, the car is solid blue. And while we are on the subject, the complete CI system on a SB will mate with the hood. A SB is about 2in shorter than a BB. And at the center of the engine (where the air cleaner stud is) the SB is about 1in shorter than a BB. Therefore the rubber seal for the air cleaner to hood mating surface is about 1in further back than it is on a BB. No big deal. It still seals OK. Also, a BB CI setup uses a spacer between the carb and air cleaner. Depending on how tall of an intake you use, you may or may not need the spacer. On my SB400, I used the old (67-72) factory Z/28 hi-rise, an adapter plate to bolt a Q-jet to the intake and as a result, the spacer was not needed and it looks just like Chevrolet made it that way. Works perfect.
My opinion is, you will make a great car out of a nice car.

------------------
Tom Parsons

[This message has been edited by DZAUTO (edited 12-10-99).]

·
Premium Member
5,542 Posts
I would go ahead and do it, and do it the way you want to! Although the car is all original, a 307 Malibu will never be a major collectors item, if you're worried about that aspect. You will be working with a nice, solid car, and not a basket case. I'm not into switching drivetrain components on matching # SS cars, but that's it. It sounds like you really want to do the mods, or you wouldn't have made the posting. In the case of your car, I'd put a BB in, but it's YOUR car, and you do what you like. Good luck and go blow some doors off.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Like DZ said its your car. A job done right can just make it worth more than a stocker. If you do it it will be a blast to drive, thats what its about!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was also planning on 4 wheel power disc conversion. Is there any real advantage of 4 wheel disc instead of 2 wheel disc. I have no power/ drums now. I plan on staying with street tires and No hop bars, NO SLICKS. Will my Rear end hold up? Again it is a 10 bolt 8.2" with 3.73 gears and locker.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DZ is right on the money....i have a 71 with 85,000 original miles. didn't think twice. she now has 406 and get this a roll cage. i think i just heard the original SS guys groan...It's got the original green paint and interior. The interior will be black before she hit's the street's next summer.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Of course it is your car and its your decision but after all, you did ask so here is my .02

If it was just a "regular" 307 Malibu, I'd say modify it all you want. It may not be worth $19K but it probably worth much more than $2-10K which is more typical.

Since you are talking serious mods, that means serious bucks. In the long run, it shouldn't take more that $1-2K to find a "donor" to support that kind of build.

I'd go that route. Find a decent chassis & body with a dead motor and go for it. Hey. Wasn't there a 69SS sans motor on ebay a few days ago for around $1200?

Bob

·
Registered
934 Posts
Im with Rich-L79 and RDJunc.

If your car is that nice and a #2 car should be, I would retain it as original and find another car to build up. Were talking about a 36,500 mile original car here. These cream puffs won't last forever!

According to VMR http://www.vmrintl.com/CCTM/CCTMENUS/cctmprcs\72chchle.htm
your car is worth around $4550.00

There's plenty of Chevelles out there better suited for this kind of modification. You'll be saving 2 cars this way. The "cream puff" and the poor "other" Chevelle that you rescue.

Besides, your 307 should beat those rice burners as is. A good 10 speed bicycle has a decent shot!

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

members.spree.com/entertainment/mr409/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

[This message has been edited by mr409 (edited 12-10-99).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status