Team Chevelle banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm completely new at this... so pardon if this a real obvious "NO!" to everyone here...

i assume since the stock clock is electronically wound... that it has electricity going to it... so does anyone make a digital clock that can fit in where the electro-mechanical one is now? and use the same power source? what about a separate power source? like off something else going to the dash?

also... (also a major chevelle newbie question) should all my gauges have lights at night? what about the automatic console? should that light up too? what about the radio? right now i get speedo... and heater/vent controls lighting up and that is it. if the others should be... how hard are the bulbs to get to? or is it most likely just a fuse?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Don't know of any digital clocks that fit in place of the OEM clock. You could have your original clock converted to quartz movement; usually costs about $70. Gives digital reliability with stock appearance.

If you have some dash lights, then it's not a fuse problem. Yes, all your gages should light up, and so should the shift indicator plate on the console (2 bulbs). If you're going to pull your dash bezel to get at the clock, replace ALL the bulbs at that time, cause it can be a real PITA otherwise. The 69's have very flimsy cheapo bulb sockets that fall apart if you look at them the wrong way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it looks like the dakota digital version is a clock that you have to buy *with* the full gauge pack... and although i would eventually like a full digital gauge set... i don't really like theirs. i like the Nord**** (i forget how it is spelled) ones that Summit carries. but they don't have the full pre-made sets that will fit a 69 Chevelle.

i might go for the quartz rebuild actually if i can't find anything stand-alone.

about the bulbs... how do i get into the dash anyhow? i see some screws up near the top going into the dash pad... if i take those all off does it pop out? or do i have to take off the dash pad? where are the dash pad screws at? how do i get the knobs and sliders off? like off the light knob and the wiper and heater controls? what size bulbs does it take? does anyone sell a compatible LED that will fit in? asking since the last waaaaaaay longer than a normal bulb and would be a bit brighter.

also since i will be taking this all apart... i have a cheapo shaft radio that looks like it will fit (temp solution until i fix more important things on the car) ... does installing it require the dash to come out too?

and finally.... how do i get to the console bulbs? are they accessible through the top of the console? like under or near the PRN321 lens?

oh.... one more... should the thin rectangle under the clock above the steering column actually have a PRN321 indicator if i have a console shift? or does it only exist if you have column shift? it seems to be blank to me... can i add one?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
Sounds like you could help yourself immensely by purchasing a factory service manual. Many of your questions could be answered by that.

You do not need to remove the dash pad. You don't need to remove the dash bezel to install a radio. The 2 console bulbs are accessible by removing the shift indicator plate; 4 screws and its off. If you have a console shift, the thin rectangle under the clock should be blank.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!

what is a good souce for the factory manuals? you mean like a chilton or a haynes? or the actual factory manual? do they have these at the dealer?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts