Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had no choice in having to drill (etc) my fill plug out of my rear differential and was wonder 2 questions from you guys. First question is does anyone know the tap size? Second question does anyone make a bigger fill plug in case I have to go that way (fingers crossed). Any help would be great been fighting a battle and want to finish this rear axel up finally. Brandon

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's apart no fluid has been installed since new gears just got to tap,install new plug and clean metal out (brake clean i wanna say to use).

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This tap going to be something I can find local like lowes/home depot or something I need to order?

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
If you have a napa store near you, it wouldn't hurt to talk to them, they might even have you helicoil it, and it might be cheaper then getting a bigger drill bit and tap.

The helicoil will require a drill bit also but it might come in a kit and save you some money.

Rob

·
Premium Member
4,515 Posts
This tap going to be something I can find local like lowes/home depot or something I need to order?
You're not likely to find NPT taps at Lowe's/Home Depot. Mcmaster-Carr sells them. Check their website at Mcmaster.com. Pipe taps are not cheap, neither are the large drill bits. Prepare to spend 40-50 dollars for the tap and about half that much for the drill bit. Drill at a VERY LOW RPM and use lotsa cutting fluid or PB Blaster to keep the bit cool and lubricated. That iron pumpkin is some hard stuff.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,793 Posts
I once had to drill a stuck one out of a 10 bolt Caprice diff. I pulled the axles and carrier, then stuffed the case with rags to contain the shavings. The plug was cast iron and drilled fairly easily. I started in the center of the plug with a small bit and progressively went to larger bits. When most of the plug was gone it weakened enough I was able to turn it with a chisel and hammer and get it out without harming the threads in the diff case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts