Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a rear diff cover and it didn't come with a gasket. Is it OK to use RTV silicon or do I need to find a gasket for installation?

While I'm here what's the best oil for a stock 12 bolt 331 non-posi rear?

As always, Thanks for any replies!

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I've always used a gasket and rtv...any name brand 80-90 wt. grease will work...ex.Pennzoil

------------------
Bob West
1972 Malibu 454+.030
350 turbo-3.73's
1.79 60 ft.
12.06 @ 112.89

·
Registered
834 Posts
I always just use RTV and have never had a problem.

Just put a good bead on, let it sit for 5-10 minutes until it gets a skin on it, and then bolt it down snug but not overly tight. Then a day later tighten it down properly and fill with oil.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
'71 Malibu with a home built 454! [email protected]
For everything you do, this burnout's for you.
CDE Power!

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I hate RTV, I normally use a gasket and permatex #2..glue the gasket to the housing, but not the cover to the gasket. That way the cover can be easily removed if needed without wasting the gasket.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I'm with Rapid Robert, rtv and gasket, why take chances.

------------------
My70ChevelleSS
Craig Sanden
"Together we stand, devided we fall"

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
cm70
I just had a gear change done a few weeks ago and the mechanic that set it up used a gasket. If you do a search on biggearhead I think you will find that not many know more than he does about rear ends. ( the type in cars anyway)
I would go with what he says. Don't mean to make his head swell up but he was a wealth of information and very helpful with me.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Last time/first time I had the cover off mine, I installed it with gasket and permatex #2. It don't leak, but I'm sure there will be some scraping to do to clean up the surfaces when it comes off again in future. If I was doing it now I'd use permatex on the cover with a gasket and a thin continuous bead of RTV on the housing and install it not too tight and tighten the rest of the way after the RTV cures.

My $0.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.