Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to determine what type of differential I have in my 66 Chevelle SS. On the front side (toward engine) of the axle housing is the number "11102" with a "B" out to the side. It has 12 bolts on the housing cover.

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
Member #:267
66 Chevelle Owner

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
The numbers you need to post are on the front facing of the passenger side axle tube. They are relatively small 1/4 inch maybe. Located from 4 to 18 inches away from the center. They will be stamped NOT cast into the metal. Good hunting. Also these will only apply IF the rear has never been modified. It may be easier to drop the rear cover and count teeth.
rick

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 10-06-99).]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding Rick. I will check again tomorrow, but your description fits exactly where I found the above numbers. It looked like the first letter could have been rubbed off and maybe the first "1" is actually the letter "L". They were pretty hard to see. I will also drop the cover and count the gear teeth. Is there a way to tell if this is a posi trac rear end?

------------------
Thanks,
ccrider
Member #:267
66 Chevelle Owner

·
Registered
341 Posts
Posi. Sometimes you'll see a decal under the truck lid. Maybe a red tag on the differential fill plug. Or jack up rear with both tires off ground and turn one side. If it turns freely and the other wheel turns the opposite direction, usually not a posi.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.