Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me why some 1970s wagons have the Chevelle coupe front bumper (rectangle turning indicator) and why some, like mine have the El Camino/Monte Carlo round turn indicator? I'm thinking it might have to do with some of the lower spec,, straight 6/307 models, but I can't seem to find a rhyme or reason. Not that I mind that mine has the round bumper lights as I'm probably going to put a set of fog lights in there and go with a halo for the turn indicator.

·
Premium Member
8,931 Posts
Here is what I do know. I have had three Chevelle Sta. Wgns. A 70 & two 71s. the 70 wagons had the square parking lights. Here is one fact that I do know. In 1970 the bumper with the round parking lights was designed for TWO units that Chevrolet Div. built.
The 70 Monte Carlo used the round parking lights with a clear lens and a chrome bullet in the center. The 1970 El Camino also used the same bumper with the round opening for parking lights, Along with the Amber lens. The round parking light Assmb. is the same Monte & Camino, JUST the lens is different. At one time I installed a pair of Monte lens in my El Camino (back in the 70s).
Also back in the 70s I stuck the Monte woodgrain over the SS dash and installed some Monte DOOR PULL straps. SOoooooo With the Monte parking lights and the Monte stuff in the interior. My El Camino was causing a bit of a stirrrrrr with different folks. YEP, It was fun. I said " This is how it came".
The square light question: I believe it is kinda sorta the owners choice to be different. If you look at the picture of my FAKE 70 SS 454 Wgn. It has the Camino bumper , With the round lens, WHY? Because I had one.
Bob

Reactions: LeoP

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. I suppose the front bumper could have been swapped out, but I'm not sure. My Greenbrier appears to have the clear lenses with the bullet like the Monte Carlo, and it's a look I never would have thought about. So, while there is only one response, is the thought that this did not come this way, but was done after the fact?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Only Elcos and Monte's had the round parking lights. Your bumper has been replaced at some time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only Elcos and Monte's had the round parking lights. Your bumper has been replaced at some time.
I only ask because I have seen a few pictures of 1970’s wagons and it *appears* that ones that have the MC type front bumper all have either the 6 cyl or 307 in it so I was wondering if there was a correlation.

·
Premium Member
7,043 Posts
Generally speaking the Monte Carlo was an upgraded Malibu. It doesn’t stand to reason the they would but that bumper and those lights on any lower tier model. It’s always been acknowledged that those round lights only came on El Camino and Monte Carlo. I can’t even subscribe to the old argument that they put whatever they had on it. That said, I love to hear new information in support of those anomalies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts