Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Friday night in Chevelle Chat we had a discussion of what sbc heads can work on what sbc engines. Some GREAT information was shared, and I have started my search for a pair of heads. I was just wondering if anyone else had put "other" heads on a stock 307. Input anyone?
TIA!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
283 Posts
The only major difference on a 307 head is the odd ball alt mounting boss on the pass side lower left front. I often use 1 307 head on my "poor boy" motors mounted on the drivers side. They are compatable with 991/993 and a few other mid/early 70s heads.
I would not worry too much about useing later 305 heads 0n a 307 if I was in a bind, but would not use them on a 350.
Harley

·
Registered
336 Posts
Harley, sort of changing the subject here, I was thinking of using my "434" heads from my 305 on a free 350 I am getting from my uncle. The 305 needs a cam soon, so I figure go with the 350. The 350 is a 74 had a 2 barrel originally, has been in my uncles 62 vette for a while now. Needs the heads worked on, they are the big chamber 74cc or so, don't know the casting#'s yet. My 305 had a good valve job, and has 50K miles on the crane springs. These heads have the 1.94 intakes and supposedly 62 cc open chambers. Why wouldn't these run good on the 350, the bore size/head gasket issue? too much shrouding or detonation. Someone said you can smooth out the edges of the combustion chambers to reduce sharp edges. These are the lightweight heads also with the scolloped edges near the spark plugs. I would eventually put better heads on later, Vortecs or trick flows. Just don't want to spend $300 on crappy smog heads.

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
http://hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wouldn't recommend changing heads on a 307 because you'll lose what little compression you already have. Chevy High Performance in their Sept. issue built up a 283 (smaller stroke, same bore) and tried heads with bigger valves. Their advice; use the stock heads.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Registered
283 Posts
Shrouding/minor, detonation/major. You have to run the timming so low to avoid detonation that the shrouding is not much of a factor.Grinding these castings is risky water is close. Get the casting numbers from the smog heads and get back to me with the right pistons and some massaging they can preform. My 71 Camaro can run 13.3 useing "882s" full dress, stock bottom end.
Harley

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks for the "heads" up Harley Ahh yes, I had heard bad things about the lightweight heads. Why so much detonation even with the stock pistons? chamber design? Anyways, probably run it as is with a new cam until I can afford the 383 kit and better heads

------------------
Frank W
Gen X Member#22 (MA)
73 Malibu Coupe
hometown.aol.com/folingo/myhomepage/auto.html
Mighty 305 Power

[This message has been edited by 73Malibu (edited 08-17-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.