Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my years of going to many car shows and gatherings I noticed a difference in instrument panels on 1970 SS Chevelles.I am referring to the plate above the blower controls.Of course if you had A/C there would be vents,but I am talking about the panel on non A/C cars.Some SS Chevelles have the standard "Chevrolet" written there,But sometimes I've seen"SS"written there.My car has "Chevrolet".Most Chevelles I've seen had this.Some have "SS".Whats the deal with that?Different assembly plants or what?How many out there have the "SS"on the panel??

·
Gold Founding Member
5,807 Posts
I dont know but my 70SS was built in Atlanta and is non-air, it has Chevrolet on that panel.
Ron

------------------
70 Chevelle SS396, 71 Z28-RS, 95 Z28 Convertible. Aces 3081

·
Registered
115 Posts
My '70 SS was built in Arlington, Texas and it also has Chevrolet. I have never seen an SS dash that had SS instead of Chevrolet. I have probably come across 25 different '70 SS cars. I wonder if those cars are canadian cars? I have never seen a canadian built car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Speaking for the Canadian SS nonAC community:

My 70SS has "Cheverolet" on the AC blockout plate.

·
Registered
705 Posts
The reason for example why 10 different SS cars have different emblems is because the GM Plant ran out of stock SS emblems and weren't about to pull the car off the line or hold it outside just for emblems. They wanted to ship the car to the dealer so whatever was available went on the car. So if you want to correct the factory problem yourself then swap the emblem with the correct one.
I know a guy who has a 71 Z and it came without side Z28 fender emblems and his uncle was the one who ordered the car.

Mark

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 71 SS has Chevrolet on the block off. I have never seen one that says SS. I disagree with the "whatever was around was put on" theory, I guess I would suggest that this was created along the way by somebody. Although it wouldn't be the first time I've learned a fact-o-velle about these strange beast.

Jody

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
COPO,
I am not referring to door panel emblems or fender emblems,butthe block out plate above the blower controls.I would accept your theory but I have seen many more SS Chevelles with the Chevrolet lettering then the SS.It wasn't like Chevrolet ran out of SS panels because for every 50 SS cars I seen 1 had the SS plate.You would think Chevrolet would have kept a better stock then that!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have pictures of an unrestored LS6 Chevelle with this SS panel.If anybody is interested in seeing this car please email me.I already emailed pictures to two people.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.