1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
272 Posts
The one you bought looks like a 66 to me. For most parts, 66 and 67 interchange, but in the case of steering columns it's 67 and 68. I don't know if a 66 will fit into a 67 or not.

Reid

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My column has the flasher in it,and the impact thing that 66 doesn't have...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a '67 SS and to the best of my knowledge the '66 column did not have a 4-way hazard flasher in the column and the '67 does. Also, the '67 column was "energy absorbent- it colasped on impact- while the '66 column was not built that way. Both were "SAFETY" features mandated by the Fed Gov in 1967.

Good luck.
Ken

·
Registered
351 Posts
The column that you bought is not out of a '67 Chevelle. It looks to be out of a '67 Pontiac or Olds Cutlass. It is definately a '67 A body column. As the others have mentioned,it has a plastic sheath over the mesh section that collapses in an accident. It also has the 4 way flasher provision which was introduced in '67.
Take a look at a non-tilt '67 column, you will see a shroud that is just below the shift bowl and lever. It is cut at an angle to conform with the angle of the dash where the column goes forward under the dash. The column that you bought has a cone shaped shift bowl which is characteristic to Pontiac and Olds. The '67 A body columns are all 1 year only. In '68 the columns were all much shorter. Look at your '69 where it comes through the firewall, you will see the difference in length.
The second eBay item that you posted is definately a '67 Chevelle column.
E-mail me if you need more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts