Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is working on a 69 chevelle to sell. The car wasn't anything special, but will be nice when finished.

What difference in value would it be if he replaced the 327 with a 396? Just an estimate would help, we are trying to figure out which way to go. The car will not look original when finished, so we are not trying to pass it off as original.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Depends on how much you plan to spend on the big block and how much more it will bring, versus keeping the 327 and not spending the money on the engine at all. Input versus output, investment versus sales price. Other than that sorry I have no idea how much difference there will be in value.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
unless you happen to have a complete BB with everything sitting around doing nothing.......... its going to cost about 10k to put it into a car that will be worth 5 k more when done ........

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Some time this year, I'm going the mid '90s LT1 route in our el Camino. As much as I like our L78 and 455 cars. I'd like to drive a lot without going broke putting gas in the car. 25 mpg sounds a lot better that 12. Many of our car shows, and cruise nights are as much as 75 miles away. The gas bills do add up. I think an LT1 powered car will draw just about as much attention as a big block. A friend has a '66 Impala with an LT1 with an LT4 cam and headers. Off the street he runs mid 13s and that is better than most big Chevies can do. His gas mileage is excellent too. I'm surprised that this swap hasn't caught on a lot more than it has. I've seen several very clean swaps that look as clean as if the factory had built the cars that way.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
since its a 69 you have a long water pump. all the acc. you can get out of a truck or from gm still, set of summit house brand headers for 90 bucks, your good to go. just install a new autozone rad for cooling $110 and your cruzing. In a car the size of a chevelle, a big block just looks right under the hood. If your rat is running, your probably talking less than 500 bucks to get it in and running, If it doesnt bring more money, it will at least make it sell faster. Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. My cousin found a running 396 for $2500, but figured getting the extra springs and such probably wouldn't be worth his time. He decided just to freshen up the 327. Now, if he was going to keep it then it would be different. He is planning to go with no emblems and shave the bumpers for a clean look. He is keeping the 69 Camaro vert (link in my signature), so he wants to get the chevelle, gto clone and el camino sold to start that project.

We aren't starting my 67 chevelle vert project until he finishes those, so I am chomping at the bit even more than him.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Man...there aint nothin' like a big block if you ask me. But then again I havent driven a new LSX powered car either. I have heard good things about them. I almost went that route with my 68 Camaro. My 66 has a BB and I love driving it! It puts a smile on my face everytime! :yes:

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
unless you happen to have a complete BB with everything sitting around doing nothing.......... its going to cost about 10k to put it into a car that will be worth 5 k more when done ........
I'd agree and say that about right. I'm thinking about putting a BB in miy car this year and I know that I could not get the money back out of it right away but, on the other hand, our cars don't really drop in value either. So that 5k might be 6k or 7k in 2-3 years. Unlike a new car which only drops in value the minute you take ownership of it and continues to drop every single mile you put on it.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
people often think of the 327 as underpowered, but the 350 as okay.
yep an some people aren't smart enough to come in out of the rain either !!!
some of us still have 327's that run real well & take great enjoyment in rubbing it in that thats what just beat em !!! :D

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
Either go with a 350 or the BB.
1969 Chevelles never came with 327's, so IMO it affects the price negatively, being a non original engine.

IMO, you can't just throw a 396 in a Malibu and expect to get more money for the car. It's everything else that needs to tie together. A well built car will sell. A haphazardly thrown together Malibu with a 396 ain't gonna be good. If it's real clean and looks like it was done well, then it will bring more $$ when selling.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
10K???
where do you come up with that figure.
You can build a fresh 454 for about $2500-3000.

A used running BB can be had for $1500 or less if you find a donor vehicle (Suburban, truck, etc.) And this get's you all of the brackets etc etc.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
10K???

A used running BB can be had for $1500 or less if you find a donor vehicle (Suburban, truck, etc.) And this get's you all of the brackets etc etc.
gotta agree! A BB would be well worth it.:yes:

·
Registered
802 Posts
10K???

yes, some of the members sometimes sell their fairly hot big blocks and take a loss. i was going to sell mine for $3000 but went with my camaro when i sold. there a couple late model big blocks in my area for a round $1500. small block 400 is a good route also.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
IMO, you can't just throw a 396 in a Malibu and expect to get more money for the car. It's everything else that needs to tie together. A well built car will sell. A haphazardly thrown together Malibu with a 396 ain't gonna be good. If it's real clean and looks like it was done well, then it will bring more $$ when selling.
we agree 100% on that .... but being well done comes with a price tag !!
its no problem at all to spend 10k on a motor swap ...
of course a junkyard dog & a rattle can cost a whole lot less...........

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Big blocks are to Chevelles as peanut butter is to jelly. I can't say on dollar value but I will agree that if it's done right it will up the value. People pay for big blocks. A 4 speed would also be a nice addition.

But if it's put together with duct tape, zip ties and bailing wire you ain't gonna get **** for it....so make sure the install is neat and professional. The little details add up, just don't get too creative. There's plenty of nice rides I steered away from because some ass hat didn't want to take the time to make it appealing.

I'd only pay $2500 for that 396 if it were a fresh build. Used you can get them for $500-$1000 unless it's a special engine like an L78 or an L89.

You could also drop in a 366 truck engine if you're looking to flip this for profit. You can probably get one real cheap since no one wants them. Just be sure to flip the "9" upside down when it comes time for the sale.:D

As for "thinking the 327 is underpowered".......I've heard it from both sides.....lots of old farts that still think the L79 327 is king of small blocks....and that 350's are boat anchors.....then there's ones that don't know a 327 and think a 350 is still king....nevermind the 400's or the LS engines....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts