Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
I can probably note a few subtle differences for you:

- malibu had rocker moldings, SS did not
- various emblems and decals, malibu as opposed to SS
- SS had blacked out grill and rear tail panel, malibu grill was silver and tail panel was body color
- all SS's came with SS wheels (7" wide), malibu had standard steel wheel (probably 6" wide) with possible wheel discs
- malibu not available in 2 door post model, SS was
- SS came standard with 396/325 engine, standard engines on malibu were either in-line six or small V8
- SS required power front disc brakes, probably an option on the malibu

There could be some others that I just can't think of right now.

Hope this helps.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

[This message has been edited by Don_lightfoot (edited 02-15-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Unless specially ordered, most Malibu's did not have 12 bolt rears, all SS cars do. Twin domed hood was also standard on the SS. If the car is a Canadian car, it's authenticity can be verified on its' data plate.

------------------
Dan Orgill

·
Registered
337 Posts
Also, starting in 69, the SS became an option and was no longer an actual model.
All Chevelle SS's from 69 on were a Malibu with the SS option.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 MonteCarlo

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
Some other things are: SS had a stainless trim ring around the parking lights, Malibu didn't. SS396 emblems were on the interior above the glove box, on the steering wheel, and on the door panels. SS396 emblems were on the exterior on the grille, on the front fenders behind the wheel openings, and on the rear below the trunk lid. The SS396 option was available on all V8 2 door models in '69, including 300 Deluxe post sedans and hardtops.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575

[This message has been edited by von (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hey Von, that trim ring on the parking lights is certainly new to me. I checked my car and they are indeed there.

I like to learn something new every day. I'll tell my wife when she comes home tonight I'm a smarter person. Think she will believe me? yeah right

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
Don, If you're smart you'll keep on letting her think she is smarter than you.

------------------

·
Premium Member
19,748 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JSL:
Also, starting in 69, the SS became an option and was no longer an actual model.
All Chevelle SS's from 69 on were a Malibu with the SS option.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not exactly. The first statement is true, but not all 69 SS's were based on the Malibu; the 69 300 Deluxe 2-door sedan was available with the SS option package as well although not too many were produced.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
Team Chevelle Gold #92
ACES #1709

1974 454 Corvette for sale
www.dalesplace.com

[This message has been edited by Dale McIntosh (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
Don, Yeah my wife tells me I'm full of it too. Dale, the SS option was also available on '69 300 Deluxe HARDTOPS too, VIN 13437. I have one.
------------------

[This message has been edited by von (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
SS had hideaway wipers under the hood and no wing vents on driver and passenger door windows.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,245 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BIG DAN:
SS had hideaway wipers under the hood and no wing vents on driver and passenger door windows.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Malibu didn't have the wing vents either

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

There are two ways to reach the top of an oak tree - you climb it or sit
on an acorn and wait.

Love your enemies. It will drive them nuts

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Big Dan - not all SS's had the hideaway wipers and some did have the vent windows.

The 300 Deluxe models (hardtop and post coupe, SS or not) did not come with the hideaway wipers, in fact had a different wiper motor. Hideaways were apparently optional on the 300 Deluxe models.

The 300 Deluxe Post Coupes (SS or not) did have the vent windows.

Just a little tidbit of clarification.

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

[This message has been edited by Don_lightfoot (edited 02-16-2001).]

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Cool. My 300 D hard top has hideaway wipers...I didn't know that was an option....
Don, or anyone, were hideaway wipers options on other A-body cars like the Ponitac/Buick /Montes? Curious....

------------------
Ron Cook
'69 SS 300 Deluxe HT
(Bow Tied's 2¢ worth.)

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Hey Ron. I found that wiper thing kind of weird myself but was confirmed by somebody that knows more than me. To confirm, here's a quote from the 69 sales brochure:

"HIDE-A-WAY WINDSHIELD WIPERS....Out of sight out of mind, just the way they should be.....And, how about this, the driver's side blade features articulated action, sweeps broad and clean within two inches parallel of the windshield pillar. Standard on Malibu. Can be specified for 300 Deluxe models."

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
61 Posts
Don't forget one of the most obvious things... The SS hood has the double bump cowls. The Malibu hood has no cowl.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,753 Posts
The hideaway ws wiper was RPO C24 for 300 Deluxe at $19.00. 706 were installed. Per my reference it was also available in '68 on models other than the SS396 (std on SS396 which was a separate model in '68). 688 were installed.

------------------

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.