Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I am an ididot!! I put 10 gallons of Diesel in my '68 yesterday. As you can imagine the car would try to start, and it would for a couple of seconds and then would die with tremendous ammount of smoke comming out the tail pipes. I have always wondered what would happen if ...
Anyway, I drain the gas, filled the tank with 92 premium, and the car seems to drive fine again.
The question I have for you is; did I damage anything by this exersise? The car has a stock '350 GM Goodwrench engine.
Thank you, and please no smart comments!! I had them all night last night from my friends!

·
Registered
283 Posts
No problem.

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
75 L-82 Corvette,71 Gremlin X
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We all have our moments, but for some reason I seem to have more than most. Oh well.
Anyway, shouldn't be any residual since you drained the tank and ran some good gas right after it. If you're a member you can search the archives for "diesel" and you'll see a few threads on this. You're not the only one who's done this.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I did it too. Luck was with me since I noticed it on the charge slip before I started the car. You might want to run a bottle of Techralon (sp), the stuff Chevron sells, to clean the upper cylinders and valves. The stuff works pretty good.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 El Camino, daily driver
67 El Camino, STRIP/street

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the same thing to a Harley a couple of years ago. I added half a tank of deisel to the bike. In my defense, it was very early in the morning, dark, and very cold. Anyway, the engine was hot, had just ridden about 100 miles, and it ran, but didn't have much power and smoked a lot. I kept riding, filling up with hi octane every 50 miles or so. That let me add one gallon to the 4 in the tank. I still haven't had the heads off, the motor runs fine. I assume that the same would be true of your 350.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Not half as bad as putting gas in a diesel thats what a friends wife did then drove home.Luckly it was half full so it ended up 50/50.Never ran so good...FRED

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I bought a Chevelle that had a "dead" engine in it for a reasonable price. It turned out that the tank was full of Diesel and, of course it would not start or run. They had taken the car to 2 garages that pronounced it unfixable. Once I figured out what the deal was, I was concerned that the cam and lifters would be done for. The story has a happy ending as the car still runs well. Had to drain out a lot of oil/Diesel mix from the pan though. So, I think your story will also have a happy ending.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Diesel will in no way damage a gas engine, diesel is just has a high oil content and that's why it runs so crappy and smokes a lot. Diesel engines rely on that viscosity factory of the fuel to aid in lubrication, that's also why gas will cook a diesel engine.

Just to be a technical bastard, there is diesel, and there is gasoline, different types of fuel, not different types of gas. Just so you know.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.