Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys -

Today I e-mailed someone who is posting ads for diecast cars for sale in our "Cars for sale" section. In the diecast circles, he would be considered a scalper, selling $3 cars for $12. Anyway I told him that wasn't the place for scalpers to sell their stuff, and below is the response I got (complete with personal insults), so if you'd rather not see those types of ads there, let him know how you feel at this address:
[ --yah, Al edited it -- ]

"Nor is it the place for you or anyone else to assume they can dictate the right to free enterprise. I assume you haven't the ability to aquire the "goods" as you call them or you couldn't care less. Either way, leave the
hobbiest alone or float away on your boat with many holes. As you must be living life upside down, pause and take a breath. What kind of name is Rainer Seitz? Sounds like a synonym to Sits in the Rain which is probably
where your mother was sitting when she named you!!!!!!!!! PS, any future emails from you will be automatically deleted. BYE......."

PS - Al would you please toast this guy's ads if you agree that they don't belong? Thanks!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 03-25-99).]

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 03-25-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, Al, maybe that's not the way I should go about it - I apologize. Nevertheless, do you agree that his use of the site in that way is inappropriate? I don't think anyone appreciates his ads there.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Administrator
3,373 Posts
Hi Rainer. first off, my apologies for editing your posting. I rarely do any editing, but it would do none of us any good to get a flame war going, actually, his address is easy enough to find. In all fairness, I never seen your email to him, but the way I look at it, you are a regular here on tech and that makes a difference.

OK, the facts:
Yes, you are correct and that posting is gone. It was on my 'to do' list. We used to whack those kind of ads until we realized that quite a few people were interested in them, so we let it slide some. We didn't really mind the occasional model ad if it had DIE CAST in the title so as not to waste the time of those who thought it was a driver.

The posting you mentioned was titled "70 SS454 LS6 Magazine cover car RARE" and although this may have been a posting error, it was misleading enough to make the remove list and would have disappeared later tonight.

The entire Ad pages are going to have to change soon. It's quite a bit of manual work to maintain them (Rick has been quite busy) and the abuse factor is climbing. I've found myself in the middle of too many disputes between seller and buyer and the latest one was for a couple thousand bucks... that's getting a bit too serious for me.

There are a lot of people making $$ off the pages, and most of them DO NOT take part here on the tech forum. It leads me to believe they have a single focus in mind.

I've asked quite a few who were obviously profitting from the pages to pay 10 or $20.00 a month for a special page where they could post lots of their parts for sale with no limit. Guess what? moaning and groaning...
Only one said sure, so you may notice a few more ads by them than others are allowed... hey, they were nice and it's appreciated, they also post in tech.

So in short. The ad is gone... I just had a bit of extra steam to let go of myself

Al

·
Administrator
3,373 Posts
Rainer, you were too fast for me. You obviously got here while I was still typing up the above reply. I got a bit long winded.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As always, a level-headed handling of the situation. Thanks Al!

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
[email protected]

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
Give me his email address and it won't bother me for 2 seconds to explain and do a demo of the definition of "Fear This". I am willing to bet a years paycheck that everyone on this site knows how and where to find a "Die Cast" if they really want one. I have nothing whatsoever against any kind of models, in fact I really like a model of a P-51 Mustang, but isn't this site for really big toys?

------------------

·
Registered
150 Posts
DZ I happen to know someone who has a P-51 that for the right price is for sale
. No die cast either, nice plane the Merlin was rebuilt a while back he said it has well over 1600 horses now. Have some pictures I will be posting on my site soon, one is taken from inside the plane doing 350 mph at 15 foot of the runway.

JT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Out of curiousity, how much does a North American P-51 Mustang go for? What variant is it? I assume probably a D model, I think they were the most prolific. I also assume the six .50 cal Machine guns have been removed as well so that you wouldn't be able to randomly strafe [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Doug White (edited 03-26-99).]

[This message has been edited by Doug White (edited 03-26-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree this is a "real" car site, not a collector toy site. Al; thanks for the sanity you keep in place.

------------------

·
Registered
12,846 Posts
The only bad thing about Al is that he is not a woman-------------I'd give him a big hug and a kiss. END OF DISCUSSION. Probably said too much already.
A good deal an a P-51 that needs to be rebuilt may be about a half mil$, and up from there to maybe 1.5-2mil$. Basically, there were 2 models in service with several variations. The B & C models were the same. They were the "Razorback" version. The B was built in Calif. and the C was built in Tex. The D was the later version with the bubble canopy and the root of the tail fin was extended further forward than the B&C. With the exception of a few very, very early models, the Rolls Royce Merlin was the engine in all models. Packard Motor Co., right here in the good ole USA was contracted to build Merlins during the war, thus, the Packard Merlin. They had a rear mounted updraft 2bl carb (each barrell could swallow a Holley, no joke) that fed a 2 stage supercharger driven off the back of the crank (a prop on the front). Some guys do in fact have pseudo .050s in the wings, very impressive looking. I have flown in 2, one of which I got to fly myself (with rear seat controls) and I have had an offer to fly MISS AMERICA which is owned by a neuro surgeon here in Okla City. Would love to fly 1 time with Chuck.
JT, I'd love to see your pictures.
Sorry, I didn't mean to get off on this non-Chevelle tangent. But I'd give up all my cars and go through another divorce to own a P-51!

------------------

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yes its the D model and no it doesn't have the guns anymore. He seems to think he can still strafe though
. I guess he raced it for while untill a couple guys smacked theirs up he figured he didn't need to do that to his. The he said the prop cost him close to 50K. Not a cheap ride I thought financing my Chevelle's build up was expensive

·
Administrator
3,373 Posts
yep, we are drifting waaay off topic, but it's a topic I really enjoy and this posting is destined to be removed soon anyways....
If I find relax time, I am a bit of a 'warbird' fan and thoroughly enjoy reading anything I can on them.

I had the opportunity to stomp around in a B-17 and a Heinkel, but that's the extent of it. I got my private pilot license a long time ago - SEL with night endorsement. I haven't had the opportunity to bore holes in the air for quite awhile.

My shoprat buddy has some screen backgrounds you may enjoy (he has a site for WW2) and I'm giving him a hand with his Buick site soon.
hwy56.com/warlinks/background/index.shtml

.. and oh, DZ? -- like my brother told me once... it gets dark every night

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 03-26-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
Ok, let's get back to the original topic!!! A while back I was looking around the Team Chevelle section and saw someone announcing a product for sale in the wrong section. Instead of emailig the individual I emailed Al. I let him know what was going on. Al was kind enough to email me to clear the situation. We as frequent users and future MEMBERS
of this site have to police this site in order to keep the high level of professionalism that distinguish us from other sites. We all know we are the best, since so many people ask if there is a site like this for their cars. I know that it is very difficult for Al to police this site. Let's continue to give him a hand with this issue. One of the reasons I do not email the individuals is to avoid what happened to Rainer. But guess what, it's only a click away when we let Al know that something is wrong. We can title the email POLICE. Al will then know that someone is misusing the site and he will take care of it since he can edit the messages.
Luis!!70SS

·
Registered
60 Posts
I totally agree with Luis,
If we don't like what is being posted on this site, it's our job to make that known. This site site should be used to further our hobby and not to line someone else's pockets.
If you would like to see what happens when a good car site goes bad, check out this Poncho site and go into any of the Parts For Sale sections.
www.1pontiac.com
I don't want that to happen on OUR site.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hey guys I saw Johnny Rutherfords P51 one time the whole aircraft was highly polished aluiminum it was hard on the eyes,but beautiful at the sametime...FRED

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Loose the Toy stuff, this isnt Kmart, just my opinion, and wat right does this guy have giving anyone in here a lesson in buttheadisum anyway, boy the guts some people have! Good job Rainer and AL, L89SEDAN

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
There is a hangar at the airport in Denton, Texas where all they work on are P-51s. There used to be three or four on the ground at any given time in various stages of repair/restoration. Haven't been there in a while. I need to check and see if they are still there.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Before Al toasts this posting, If any of you are in the Washington,D.C. area you should put the Garber Facility in Suitland,Md on your to do list. This the place where they put all the display planes together and they have an open house every spring. The place is fabulous. It is part of the Smithsonian.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I was there... they have spock's ears too!

francis

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.