Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year they started on a big road project in town here. Took all summer to a 7 block stretch that required digging down 18-20 feet.
When the got it done the manhole covers were all in the wheel track.
I emailed a DOT person for the area, & told them that. The person said they would talk to the project engineer, then came back & said they don't do it like that. I sent pics to show 10 of 12 were like that.
The engineer backslid a bit & said their was a lot sewer lines that needed to be moved, blah blah in other words he messed up.
Well they just completed another stretch of the project & the manholes are darn near in the center of the lane. (y)

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Last year they started on a big road project in town here. Took all summer to a 7 block stretch that required digging down 18-20 feet.
I emailed a DOT person for the area, & told them that. The person said they would talk to the project engineer, then came back & said they don't do it like that. I sent pics to show 10 of 12 were like that.
The engineer backslid a bit & said their was a lot sewer lines that needed to be moved, blah blah in other words he messed up.
Well they just completed another stretch of the project & the manholes are darn near in the center of the lane. (y)
The squeaky wheel gets the grease....

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Not coincidence. Your call made them realize the contractors were cutting corners and they called them on it.

Two (y)(y)

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not coincidence. Your call made them realize the contractors were cutting corners and they called them on it.

Two (y)(y)
I don't know if it was the contractor or what, but if a state inspector sees something usually it has to be fixed. Maybe they did just a year later.

Reactions: lucifershammer

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I always tell city and state people to lawyer up as that's where it going. Back in 2015 they re-did all our local street and created a flood zone in the middle of the block. The city engineer told me I was wrong, I told him in front of the council that I have footage of past flooding on our street and you moved it to the middle of the block. When we had a 4" blast of rain a year later I recorded it and found the other video form years past, the look on the councils faces was priceless when they watched it and I also threatened the city lawyer with a huge lawsuit if my basement ever floods as there have been 2 10" rain storms in the past that Iived through and we never had water in our basement. The 4" rain storm was half way up into my neighbors yard on both sides of the street. Seems like most collage people are sure stupid after graduating. They should ask for a refund on their schooling.

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
A neighboring 35mph street improvement is in it's final punchlist stage. 10mil project and most of the covers are in the wheel track and I'd say a quarter are uneven sand casting receivers....which make the cover rock under load and make a heck of a clank-clank when travelled. I made a call to the project manager and he's pushing to get it fixed , since the county is still holding a million in retention money. Talked to the contractor today since they were on my easement doing something else, they said it'd take a huge investment to redo the 40 or so receivers....yep, no argument there. I suggested having suppression gaskets made which would probably cost pennys in comparison.....he got really quiet. We'll see......

·
Super Moderator
16,077 Posts
I always tell city and state people to lawyer up as that's where it going. Back in 2015 they re-did all our local street and created a flood zone in the middle of the block. The city engineer told me I was wrong, I told him in front of the council that I have footage of past flooding on our street and you moved it to the middle of the block. When we had a 4" blast of rain a year later I recorded it and found the other video form years past, the look on the councils faces was priceless when they watched it and I also threatened the city lawyer with a huge lawsuit if my basement ever floods as there have been 2 10" rain storms in the past that Iived through and we never had water in our basement. The 4" rain storm was half way up into my neighbors yard on both sides of the street. Seems like most collage people are sure stupid after graduating. They should ask for a refund on their schooling.
And have they done anything about it?

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
A neighboring 35mph street improvement is in it's final punchlist stage. 10mil project and most of the covers are in the wheel track and I'd say a quarter are uneven sand casting receivers....which make the cover rock under load and make a heck of a clank-clank when travelled. I made a call to the project manager and he's pushing to get it fixed , since the county is still holding a million in retention money. Talked to the contractor today since they were on my easement doing something else, they said it'd take a huge investment to redo the 40 or so receivers....yep, no argument there. I suggested having suppression gaskets made which would probably cost pennys in comparison.....he got really quiet. We'll see......
Don't some of those covers have the ability to be bolted down?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
We have a lot of roads that have manholes in the tire path. Besides being annoying, it's dangerous because it causes drivers to cross into adjoining lanes or worse, oncoming traffic...

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
And have they done anything about it?
Not a thing, but what we have in this block is video proof that the city screwed it up big time. I just wait until the big rain dump happens and then talk to my lawyer, he likes to shake them until their pockets jingle.

·
Premium Member
3,033 Posts
I wish I could get them to repave our road.................The 2 mile road to our home was chip sealed in 1994. Since that time, the county comes out periodically and throws cold patch in the pot holes. They convert pot holes to speed bumps. It's a mess.
I've taken guys with me to the Pomona swap meet. It's a 500 mile trip. As we leave my property, I just tell them the first 2 miles of the trip will be the worst roads we'll travel. I've been right every time.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I try to learn where the covers are on roads I frequent. Then, I know which side to be on to miss them. I'm frequently in the bike lane. I call it man hole avoidance. Most folks following me think I'm nuts. Probably am.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
809 Posts
"Yes, they won't get fixed."

I would not be sure of that.
When one flips up or otherwise causes an injury wreck or several damaged cars they may find it cheaper to fix the problem than to make the second large payout.
Counties seem to skate on the first injury/fatality but then can no longer claim "We did not know or realize that there was an issue".
So if there is a second the lawyers go for blood and easily get it!
You have already publicly pointed out the issue, so they will not get that first free pass.
Maybe point that out to them too?

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hopefully when they get the rest done they will be out of the wheel track.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
One would assume contractors or the people in charge would have the common sense to make centered man holes as the standard.
Not in my city.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts