Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 69 SS clone which was represented that way. The car has every SS component (20+) and I believe the only thing seperating it from a true NOM drivetrain car is the build sheet. The car was built 5 years ago with 4200 documented miles since. It has a 70 454,69 M-20 4 speed and 70 3:31 posi. The car has been a texas car all its life with perfect floors and trunk and no bubbling since painting. The motor has $4250 in receipts not counting assembly labor and although it is a touch radical I prefer it over a stock rebuild. The paint is good driver quality done by former owner who did not take enough prep time or lay on enough paint. From 3 feet it is straight and clean. The car has 5 15x8 repro magnum wheels . When I started looking a car had to fit certain guidelines:1969, Big Block, 4 speed, certain color, no vinyl top and the work done. I bought this car from pictures and chose it because it was set up exactly as I wanted it. The cars weakness is its need for detailing under the hood and the frame ( rust free also). It goes down the road great . I paid $18000 for the car and the closest others were 23,500 to 25000. Have a great day John

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
There was a '69 SS clone for sale at the Atlantic City car sale and auction that was nut and bolt perfect. The only thing that wasn't perfect was the price tag-$50K. Why someone would start out with a Malibu and clone it to an SS and restore that perfect is beyond me. Why wouldn't you start out with an SS?

·
Premium Member
7,945 Posts
Sounds like you got a good price, dont sweat the SS stuff, just enjoy your car. It would cost you more than that to build the same car from scratch. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
631 Posts
hell drive that pup and watch people stare as you cruise by.....:D
Great price, especially if you're happy. And BlackBetty is right on the money with what he said! People will darn near wreck their cars lookin at yours! :yes:

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
I too, think you did OK for what you ended up with. Sounds like a nice car and you can always fix the stuff you don't like as time goes by. As was said, drive the poop out of it and enjoy it! Congrats!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I did a frame off - nuts and bolts resto on my '69 COPO Clone and I would be loosing money if I sold it for twice what you paid for that one.

You did good.

And, think of it this way, you could probably get a driver quality real SS for the same price probably needing most all components rebuilt for what you gave for a practically brand new '69 Chevelle that is built better and much faster than anything you could have ordered back in the day.

To some folks the pedigree it worth it, to others, its more fun to enjoy them for what they were built for.

Again, you did very good!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
When I started looking a car had to fit certain guidelines:1969, Big Block, 4 speed, certain color, no vinyl top and the work done. I bought this car from pictures and chose it because it was set up exactly as I wanted it.
First, congrats on getting the Chevelle.:beers:

Second, I think you answered your question in these two sentences. If it was worth it to you, that's all that matters. It's called buyers remorse and pretty much everyone gets it, unless they're lucky enough to get that barn find for 5000.

If you're bored sometime, try adding up all the parts and everything that's been done to the car, as well as the labor you'd pay for the things you coulnd't do yourself. I bet you will reach that figure you paid in a hurry.

Don't worry about it, enjoy that Chevelle, and let's see some pics.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think you did well from the discription, My 69 is a homologation of many different original parts, not numbers matching by any means and I paid just under 24,000 a little over a year ago. I still continue to put money into it to get it even better. To me that is the fun part! Everytime I think I spend too much anybody who looks at the car thinks it is really cool. We cannot put a price on that or what ever makes you feel good about the car. Having this thing in many ways makes my life and the love for life better. How much is happiness worth?
Brian 69SS396

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hey John:
You did good, congrats. I've been in that same boat as you, I started looking for a BB 4-speed chevelle exactly 2 years ago and also like you I had certain guidelines which had to be met, I didn't want a project, I already have one sitting in the garage, I want a muscle car I could drive now... not in two or three years. Over 6 months I looked at about a dozen Chevelle ('68-'72) but there was always something I didn't like about the car, I came across my present '68 thur ebay, it looked good in the pictures and it met all my wants, completely restored & a 138 car to boot and it was only 45 mins away. After taking two trips to inspect the car I made a bid............. The reserve was not met so I gave the seller a call and after a long 2 hours talk he sold me the car for $6500K under is reserve, the reason was he was selling 3 of his car (Chevelle & 2 GTOs) due to a DIVORCE. His bad luck was my good forture .......... Enjoy your car John and don't worry about that CLONE crap :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts