Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am contemplating my motor build and am getting a little worried. Here are the basic specs:
454 block standard bore
Forged dome pistons (.27 dome height)
voodoo 60203 cam 268/276 cam
edelbrock 60459 heads 110cc combustion chambers

I'm using a .039 thick head gasket and the pistons are .005" in the hole.

Will I have problems on pump gas!? IDK what's going on here. I had everything planned out and now I'm facing problems with DCR and SCR. I know the cam is small but untill I get a higher stall, I don't have a choice.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
No chance with that cam.

You would have to go with 60205, ground on a 112, installed at 108 to even come close, and that would put you around 8.4 DCR.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
That may be pushing it, I come up with nearly 11 to 1 scr. A cam with more duration would help bleed off some of that.

I'm sure summit would gladly exchange pistons.

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Too much compression, not enough cam....
I'll trade some big chamber 236 peanut port heads to lower your compression in exchange for your Edelbrock heads.

Seriously, forget the big dome pistons, go with .100 dome slugs and you should be OK.
Go with the .100 dome pistons and the 60204 cam or 60205 (maybe run the big pistons with this cam) so you get some of the flow benefits of those heads....60203 won't even work those heads....might as well have stock heads if you choose a 60203....JMHO.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, wow, I just found my mistake! You see, I first built the motor with 049 heads so the cam was good. But when I got my last job, I got a very good discount on the heads so I went with them. Well, I just realized that the wrong ones were ordered! I wanted the 60559's. IDK what I'm going to do now, I bought them over 6 months ago!? My budget is next to nothing because I was supposed to be "done" in the next week! (Sad when you're worried about overspending when you go to buy a pack of cotterpins!)

Just when things were going right for once:(

Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, guys, I put off thinking about this problem for a few days but now I must take care of it!

I have called a few companies and it looks as if I'm stuck with the heads. I have very little money so changing the pistons is not an option either.

Now, the cam. I was playing around on a DCR calculator and it seems I will be able to run on pump gas if I swap the cam. I noticed the voodoo cams have very small intake closing angles. (unless I'm reading something wrong?) So, with a cam change to say a crane energizer 284 or a comp 292H, or similar cam, my DCR would be right around 8.1

If this thinking is correct, could any of you possibly suggest a cam?

The engine:
454, standard bore/stroke
110cc aluminum edelbrock heads
27.1 cc dome
.039 head gasket
pistons .01-.006 in the hole
4.540 head gasket bore

The car:
71 chevelle, driver with weekend fun
th400 with 2200 stall (want to change the converter to about a 2800 stall when I can)
3.42 rear end

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I know I will get told that there are much better cams today but the old L78 396-375 solid lifter cam might work in your case. Best my memory serves me it was ground on 116 lobe separation and had a very late intake closing. I would be about the duration you want and is very streetable. I drove one for years with a stock converter in a T350. It could have used a little more converter but it worked ok, especially if your timing curve is correct. It had plenty of vacuum and idled about 800 when everything was tuned about right.

Like I said the old designs are out of favor with some but with the smooth lift curve you seldom had problems with cam wear. It may not make the last 10 horsepower a newer design might but there was no problems running in the high 11's with a 3500 lb car and a good set of slicks back in the day.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
Whatever cam you get will not like your current rear gears or converter, so you aren't saving any money by rebuilding your combo around the pistons you have. Look at 60205; that is probably about the duration you would need to go with. (it's also the biggest voodoo cam)

Are the pistons still in the box?

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whatever cam you get will not like your current rear gears or converter, so you aren't saving any money by rebuilding your combo around the pistons you have. Look at 60205; that is probably about the duration you would need to go with. (it's also the biggest voodoo cam)

Are the pistons still in the box?
No, here's a summary of my situation:

I built the engine with a different cam and 049 heads. I had an accident on the freeway and parked the car. I got enough money to start working on it again so I rebuilt the rear end, redid all the brakes, got a really good discount on the edelbrock heads, and got the cam. I sold the 049 heads soon after. Now fast forward about 8 months. I was laid off, told I NEED to get this car running to start working on our Jaguar(I get the luck, or lack there of, from the family!). The pistons have about 1500 miles or so on them.
:(

·
Registered
13,358 Posts
Don't worry about the compression. I ran the exact same head on a 454.030 with H693CP hypereutectic pistons (basically the same piston in a cast version). My dome was just slightly smaller at .230 ht, but side by side the dome had a different shape to net -25cc. Your CR will be right around 10.5/1 if the heads are 110CC, but most likely those heads are 112CC+.

As for a cam, I would go with something simple. 2200 stall and 3.42 gears is still more than enough for a lot more cam. Check out the Summitt 1303 [296/306, 238/248, .540/.540, 114LSA / 112 ICL]. Those heads need a 10* split int/exh. Don't sweat the 114LSA, this cam will still idle with a rump but will start the power curve a lot earlier and wider. Won't be as radical as the 292H though. But won't idle smooth either. THe 292H has overlap of 72* at the seat and 24* at .050. THe 1303 has 73* at the seat and 15* at .050. Lift is .550 vs .540 (for .010 difference might as well be the same). This cam is only 55.00. If you can spring the extra $$$, my hyd flat tappet of choice is typically a Crane. Crane 134561 is 296/306, 236/246, .553/.571, 114LSA, 111ICL. For what it's worth, I have never had a Crane flat tappet cam failure.

Check some posts from Mr4Speed. He installed 1303 cam in a bone stock 8/1 CR 454 into a '69 Chevelle with 3.08 gears and a stock converter. Car runs high 13's.

·
Premium Member
28,757 Posts
Check some posts from Mr4Speed. He installed 1303 cam in a bone stock 8/1 CR 454 into a '69 Chevelle with 3.08 gears and a stock converter. Car runs high 13's.

The car ran 13.30 with lean jetting and the secondaries not fully opening. Stall is an 11" unit :)

Gears are 3.07 (12 bolt)

And Joe is right on..that cam (1303) would work fine with your combo

·
Premium Member
28,757 Posts
I was close (??).
absolutely!

We have been trying to get that car back to the track,,the last 4 track rental outings have been cancelled due to rain..including today :sad:

we added a 50 cc accelerator pump,the lightest yellow sec. spring and 74/84 jetting
That should wake it up! :D
It hooks decent with a 1.82 60 ft. just need to get the MPH up to get into the 12's

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.