Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently told about a 66 SS396 convertible, that was just brought into a local bone yard. Well I went to check it out today and it's in rough shape but everything looks to be there except the drivetrain. Looks like the previous owner stared the resto. and gave up. The frame has been all blasted and painted (solid) and the body has been pre-blasted and primed but still needs work on rear quarters, rear floors, trunk and under the windshield looks like buckshot and also the top is gone except for the conv. frame
The car needs a total resto, but all the orginal parts are sitting in the cab right now...buckets, dash, 4sp console etc...
I have been told to take her away as is...no charge.
Only really serious problem I could not find and I know this is probably a BIG problem, no firewall tag and I could not find the VIN.
So what do you all think, tempt fate or grab all the usable parts I can and sell them?

------------------
Bob
Email: [email protected]
My Chevelle: members.aol.com/rdcnh/70index.html
Team Chevelle Gold Member #169
New England Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bob,
Anytime you get the chance to take a Chevelle away for free, Take it. At the very least, you'll be able to part the car out. I also live in the northeast and know how rare of a find that is. I think that unless you are looking for another project, bring it home, take a picture, and put it in the autofinder for $500-$700. You'd be able to get at least that much for the parts.

p.s. If you choose not to take it, please drop me a line so I can get it. It would be a shame for it to go to the crusher. I'd be willing to pay a finders fee.

------------------
Ted Stojkovski
(formerly Skunkynuggets)
Syracuse NY
Team Chevelle #172

[This message has been edited by Tedster (edited 08-29-99).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
First, get a handle on the ownership and get that VIN stuff squared away!!!! If that cannot be done, you have a parts car. Do not spend anything on it until the title is in your hands. After that,full speed ahead.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Grab IT! Like everyone else says... It's Free and at worst it's a parts car!

Look in the centre of the firewall, about 1.5 inches below the upper edge and you should see the stampings. There is the Body Number & VIN. You could then go to the DMV or whatever and get them to track it down. You never know, the tags might be in the bucket of bits to pretect them from the blasting etc...

------------------
The proud owner of a Canadian 64-SS with ZZ4 Power!
Chesterville, Ontario, Canada.
Team Chevelle Gold Member #37
Canadian Classic Chevelles & Beaumonts Member #350

WebSite www.magma.ca/~ssoltesz/steves/1964.htm

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well thanks guys, you've pretty much confirmed what my hearts been telling me...(Go for it!!) Looks like the flat bed will be dropping me off one rough 66 SS convertible. I have a lot of reservations attacking this project, as it will be my first major restoration. I think my only saving grace is that I have this site to fall back on when I hit a snag. I will definitely make sure I get a title in hand before spending one cent. Tedster, if I get cold feet I'll let you know
Once I get the beast, I will post some "before" photos so you guys can start playing the violins.

Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!

------------------
Bob
Email: [email protected]
Team Chevelle Gold Member #169
New England Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just something to consider: By the time this car is fully resto'ed you will have way more money invested in the car than it will be worth. That fact is probably true for most of the cars that are resto'ed. If that is ok with you then, Go for it! I know my car has more $ into it than it is worth but, I don't consider my car a good investment. I have always considered it "my toy"

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu"
~Wilkes-Barre, Pa.~

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I have considered that, and the one big question I asked myself is "what do I want to do with this afterwards?" I have looked to see what a good 66 SS convertible goes for and I have seen prices from 17k to 22k, knowing I don't have that kind of cash on hand I figured I would take my time, do the car right and hold onto it. I just can't let a fairly rare find like this go to the compactor and I am in a sick way looking forward to the challenge, no matter how long it takes.
I just have to take it one step at a time. First I have to make sure I can get a title for it before I do anything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Check in Hemminings. There are usually guys in there selling titles,tags,etc.. My Bro-in-law bought one for his Cobra. Worked out pretty good. Kept him out out the red tape trap. Good Luck sounds like you havea keeper.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Good luck with your project. I know how you feel because I have a '67 convertible
project. If you decide to part or sell the car as a parts car let me know. I'd be
interested.

------------------
Tony Z
Team Chevelle member #358
Utica, NY
'67 Chevelle SS Convertible Project
Seeking '70 Chevelle SS Hardtop
[email protected]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will do Bill, I'll tell ya though right now there isn't much to look at but a pile of parts and a spotty primered topless body sitting on a nice redone frame
I've been dreaming about the day I can drive her into BK on a Friday cruise night with the top down!
I'll let ya know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow what a find. Remember not to rush and have fun. All i will say to ya is congrats and have fun!!

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
You should sleep a whole lot better knowing you saved this one from certain death. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts