Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting a "desktop dyno" type program and a "quarter jr" type program. In your opinions, which ones seem to be the most accurate? Also while I'm here, does anyone know where one can find the clear inner tail light lenses for a 65 Camino? I have never found new ones and the used ones I've found are as screwed up as mine. Thanks Dave

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Dave, I've used the desk top dyno and compared it to the power figures of engines I've actually had dyno tested. The desk top dyno was pretty close to the real thing. It is also fun! I've never used the Quarter Jr. but have heard similar good comments. BB66

·
Registered
38 Posts
Engine Analyzer and Quarter Jr. are the two best programs I've ever used. Both have very specific input possibilities. Other programs I've used generalized alot of catagories.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Engine Analyzer (for windows, around $100 from Summit) is the best "cheap" computer dyno, so far. I don´t like Desktop Dyno that much, but their new Dyno2000 should be great, and costs less than half of the Engine Analyzer.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've had Desktop Dyno for a couple of years and a lot of the entries are very vague. I also think the horsepower figures are optomistic at best. Just my .02

·
Registered
92 Posts
Desktop Dyno is a pretty nice program for evaluating changes that you may want to make to a motor. It's also lots of fun. The best and most accurate 1/4 mile, ET, HP, converter slip etc. that I have used is "DragStrip Plus" by Revolutionary Concepts. Great detail and from my experience, very accurate. It missed my current best ET by less than a 1/10 sec, MPH was right on as was RPM (I would not have believed it). The thing that struck me most about this type of program is seeing how changing just one thing, for example header primary size, impacts every thing else -- stall speed, carb CFM requirements, shift RPM, optimum gear ratio etc, etc... Don't know what I did without it...MK

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just downloaded the free dragstrip plus shareware. Wow!!!!! Thats a really neat program. Ive already spent several hours dreaming of a good engine combo, and checking it out on the program...
Thanks!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own Engine Jr., Quarter Jr., and Desktop Dyno. The Desktop program is the latest version that figures the opening and closing point valve event values for the user. I LOVE this program! Ever wonder what effect tightening the lobe seperation angle on your cam might have? What would happen if you advanced the cam by a couple of degrees? It takes 15 seconds to find out! Engine Jr. is rather vague concerning cam inputs but has a fantastic work sheet to calculate approximate cylinder head flow values. It usually calculates comparable power numbers to Desktop but not always. Quarter Jr. is great! It calculated e.t's within .03 seconds of actual times for both my cars, one runs 11.30's the other 13.60's. Anyone who is the least bit serious about performance cars should take advantage of this technology and take the time to learn how to use it. You will learn more than you will believe possible. If there is one thing that I've learned by using them it's that conventional logic is often wrong. The prices are super reasonable compared with buying parts and trying changes. Buy the wrong gear or cam and change it and you've payed for all of the above programs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.