·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
5,867 Posts
That's the middle of Nowhere. I think the Sheriff of Pioche still rides a donkey.

I'm familiar with the dirt trails west of Pioche, been lost out there a few times.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yes, a modern GM LS engine and transmission with all of their supporting parts and harnesses at insurance auction prices. Very nice. That's what they call a Gearhead Christmas in the middle of the year.

Rick

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
Caliente used to have the best little restaurant to stop at for breakfast. Haven't been out there since 2003, but I stopped there every time I drove through. Not much else there, other than the old train station. Neat if you're into old train history.

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
The rail company (or their insurance) will probably scrap everything even if it looks good. Prevents future liability problems. Same scenario happened with Mazda when their RoRo ship rolled over off the Alaska coast several years ago. They scrapped the whole load even though some cars weren't damaged.

I used to work for the railroad and serviced switching locomotives throughout the LA Metro area and the San Fernando Valley back in the late 70s, early 80. The Van Nuys plant had a small rail yard where they loaded the vehicles onto the rail cars. Off to the side of the loading area were a number of wrecked Camaros and Firebirds. I was told by my supervisor those were casualties of "driving" through the rail cars or just driven off the ramps during the loading process.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
How do you go about buying one of those scrapped trucks just for the running gear (LS swap)?

·
Registered
4,429 Posts
You don't. They will all likely be going to LKQ, and you know what the chances of buying a whole vehicle from them is.

·
Premium Member
3,531 Posts
My Great Uncle was a Brakeman on the Southern Pacific. He told me a story of how a load of Hudsons was buried in the middle of Nevada somewhere after a derailment on the instructions of the insurance company. There were a couple of Hornets in the bunch, which as one of his favorite cars. He owned one for many years. He always talked about going "out there" to see if he could dig one up. They are probably in good shape in the desert soil...

·
Premium Member
1,436 Posts
My Great Uncle was a Brakeman on the Southern Pacific. He told me a story of how a load of Hudsons was buried in the middle of Nevada somewhere after a derailment on the instructions of the insurance company. There were a couple of Hornets in the bunch, which as one of his favorite cars. He owned one for many years. He always talked about going "out there" to see if he could dig one up. They are probably in good shape in the desert soil...
Near Rock Springs, Wyoming several rail cars with late '70s Firebirds and other Pontiacs were were pushed into a hole and buried. I know several railroad signal guys that were there to put the track back in service. That used to be standard practice. These days they'll scrap the rail cars and the automobiles will be taken to an LKQ type place as has been stated.

In the last 20 years Union Pacific has phased out their heavy equipment and now all derailments are handled by contractors. All salvage work will be contracted out as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts