Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Ok, the motor starts, idles and runs really good... that is until it is at full temp (water 190, oil 190) for a bit. When I put the car in park the idle climbes 200 RPM's... no big deal. However, when I restart the car from sitting for 10 mins - 30 mins it starts and idles fine but sputters a bit when revving from idle. Obviously not a big problem... I have chalked it up to the "temperament" of the setup but figured I would poll this fine forum for any suggestions to improve the issue.

BTW, I live in Tampa FLA.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
make sure your float levels are set. Sounds to me like your carb id letting go of some fuel after you shut down = then as you start it the engine has trouble firing all that raw fuel .

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Timing is nowhere near correct if only 28* total....
Try 16* BTDC initial and 18 mech adv in the distributor.
Then try 18* initial.....
Most engines like 34--36 deg total timing....

BTW, unless you need hood clearance, like a BBC Vette....get a Perf RPM or RPM Air Gap....
The Torker II makes good midrange power but it gives up quite a bit of low-end torque....

·
Registered
117 Posts
make sure your float levels are set. Sounds to me like your carb id letting go of some fuel after you shut down = then as you start it the engine has trouble firing all that raw fuel .
This sounds like it is on the right track to me. I have had some problems before with a hot engine compartment and Holley carbs. When the engine is shut down the heat in the compartment and engine starts rising and boils the fuel in the carb. This causes the fuel to run out of the boosters and puddle in the intake.

The first check is to make sure the floats are set right. If anything, error to the low side. You could also try leaving your hood open and see if dropping the float level and leaving the hood open affects the problem. The first time I hit this kind of a problem I figured it out by watching the carb and sure enough, within a minute or two I could see gas dripping from the boosters.

My end solution was to put an insulated spacer under the carb and to increase airflow through the engine compartment. The insulator alone was tried first and worked for all but the hottest days.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.
FYI... I have never done a lick of tuning :confused:. Went to Advanced Discount to pick up a timing light this weekend and they stock one model and it's $97. Didn't think I needed to spend that much... checking out Summit now.

Also, I sent an email to AntiVenom Speed Shop here in the Tampa... anyone hear anything good or bad? The website advertises mostly GM LSx work.

Thanks!
Brian

·
Registered
306 Posts
There have been some good tips posted by the other members. After you get the timing in the right range as suggested let us know if you are still having problems and we can look at what it is doing but as posted it must have the timing corrected first.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
After you check your timing, I would check your choke. It sounds like it is closing up a tad by cooling off, and "choking" your engine when it does not need to by cooling off the choke spring from sitting there. You may have to let the engine "breathe" buy bending the choke rod, the rod that is connected to the choke spring and butterfly, to open the butterfly more to let air in. I had to do this on both my 454 and 496.

Or just adjust the choke by rotating the choke housing.

Be sure to do your adjustments when the engine is cold. Be patient, because it may take a few times to get it right.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
After you check your timing, I would check your choke. It sounds like it is closing up a tad by cooling off, and "choking" your engine when it does not need to by cooling off the choke spring from sitting there. You may have to let the engine "breathe" buy bending the choke rod, the rod that is connected to the choke spring and butterfly, to open the butterfly more to let air in. I had to do this on both my 454 and 496.

Or just adjust the choke by rotating the choke housing.

Be sure to do your adjustments when the engine is cold. Be patient, because it may take a few times to get it right.
FYI:
What kind of 850 demon is it? Speed demons do not have chokes and mighty demons do not either! I have 850 speed demon and they come factory with way bigger primary and secondary jets. I had to downsize my jetting and will do more when I get time. Aslo squirter size matters but your timing is the most important thing you have to do before tuning carb. An adjustable timing light is highly recommend to set total. Sears has a good one!

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
FYI:
What kind of 850 demon is it? Speed demons do not have chokes and mighty demons do not either! I have 850 speed demon and they come factory with way bigger primary and secondary jets. I had to downsize my jetting and will do more when I get time. Aslo squirter size matters but your timing is the most important thing you have to do before tuning carb. An adjustable timing light is highly recommend to set total. Sears has a good one!
FYI ...go HERE, what do you see? A SPEED DEMON WITH A CHOKE ON IT.....Optional on Speed Demon, comes on Speed Demon VE's....It works well on my 496. You can see it HERE.

Ditto on the Timing Light....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts