Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a battery topper for an R59 battery that comes with the eye color painted red. I am going to drill that out and place a clear plastic piece like the original Delco Eye had. I don't recall but all the posts I've read say the originals were supposed to be green when one inspected through the eye. What shade/type of green was that?

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,411 Posts
I would say the green would be close to the green that a turn signal indicator gives off.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
For some reason, I picked green for mine. Whether it is right, wrong, or what, it looks fine to me and I'm happy with it.

Here is the modified Topper cap with just the yellow center plastic plug I put in it:

Here is the green piece of whatever it was before I glued it in on the underside using some 5 minute epoxy:

Here it is after the green was glued in underneath:

Jim

·
Registered
617 Posts
Jim,

That's pretty close to what I remember from back in the day.

I need to glue one of those in the middle of my Optima Red Top just to mess with people. :laugh:

Reactions: SSJohn

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. What is the consensus on the other caps. Should they have small vent holes in them?

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I have a delco R59 battery with the post dated E9, it has holes in each of the other caps and the pic below shows the eye cap. It is clear now because it is not charged or has any battery fluid in it. The solution shown above is a good one to replicate a functioning original in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
How I made my fake " EYE ". I got an old real eye from a delco batt. ( That I had in my El Camino) The eye that I removed from a Delco Batt. had a long clear piece of plastic attached. So, What I did to fake my topper.....
I cut the long plastic piece off, Just so It cleared the top of the "real" Batt. Then I polished the end of the plastic to make it clear with no scratches.
Next, I got some testors model paint " GREEN " and painted a spot on the batt........... Look at the eye and you will see green.
I also have a R-59 tag and a white Delco tag that fits onto a Batt. post. And last, I glued some rubber ( left over pieces from a heater/A/C firewall gasket kit.) Now when you touch it,,,,, It sounds & feels like a real Batt. ;)
Bob
My Camino has a new style " Glass Matt " Batt.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK, I got mine done but not installed in car yet. I got a couple tips from Bob. I bought a real Delco Eye on ebay for $9.00. Only problem was the lettering was yellow instead of red. So I took a razor knife and cut the clear plastic eye out of the cap. I then cut it down to fit inside the Delco Eye that comes with the topper and then proceed to polish the end I cut just like Bob did.
For the green eye I was looking around the house for a piece of green plastic. Couldn't find anything so I figured I get something later. I then went to Harbor Freight for some magnets to hold on terrycloth towels for fender protectors. Looked around Harbor freight for something green plastic and came up empty. After that I went to Home Depot to get some steel wool to attempt to polish my rear window. When I walked into the store it hit me. Home Depot has all those paint sample cards in the paint department and they are free. So I took a half dozen or so of those and will just double face tape it to the top of the battery.
Used an Interstate MT-24 battery which fit perfect with no modification neede except the battery case is white in color so I painted it black.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,707 Posts
How I made my fake " EYE ". I got an old real eye from a delco batt. ( That I had in my El Camino) The eye that I removed from a Delco Batt. had a long clear piece of plastic attached. So, What I did to fake my topper.....
I cut the long plastic piece off, Just so It cleared the top of the "real" Batt. Then I polished the end of the plastic to make it clear with no scratches.
Next, I got some testors model paint " GREEN " and painted a spot on the batt........... Look at the eye and you will see green.
I also have a R-59 tag and a white Delco tag that fits onto a Batt. post. And last, I glued some rubber ( left over pieces from a heater/A/C firewall gasket kit.) Now when you touch it,,,,, It sounds & feels like a real Batt. ;)
Bob
My Camino has a new style " Glass Matt " Batt.
I did the same thing for a Delco Eye on the topper on my dearly departed '69 SS.

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,966 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
I still stand firm in my description. :)

There was never a "green" eye until the later "Freedom" units from Delco.

You may be remembering a "murky" yellow appearing green when there was a water issue.

If there was a "Green eye", why does the various service manuals from when these vehicles were new not mention about green being good?

Typical construction:

1967 1968 1969 NOS DELCO BATTERY EYE CORVETTE CHEVELLE NOVA IMPALA UNITED DELCO | eBay

·
Premium Member
7,046 Posts
I still stand firm in my description. :)

There was never a "green" eye until the later "Freedom" units from Delco.
Joe, I want to agree with you but suffered from the other memory. I've looked at what was there and there is no mechanism for a 'green indicator'. If the electrolyte was full, it would cover the plastic and turn it dark. If it was low, it would pick up light and make the tube light yellow. That's what my senses are telling me.

It would probably be helpful if someone could tell us how those Delco Freedom batteries got their 'green eye'. I'm guessing it was a mini hygrometer built in to one cell.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,668 Posts
I have a battery topper for an R59 battery that comes with the eye color painted red. I am going to drill that out and place a clear plastic piece like the original Delco Eye had. I don't recall but all the posts I've read say the originals were supposed to be green when one inspected through the eye. What shade/type of green was that?
:cool: I went on eBay and bought a real Delco Eye Cap. I got the yellow painted Delco Eye Cap because the Delco Eye in it is plastic rather than glass (I believe the Red Lettered Delco Eyes are glass). I cut off the lower portion of the plastic Eye and painted the yellow letters red.

I remember back-in-the-day that the eye was "clear" when full ("yellow" when low) and NOT ever the green of the plastic insert that is being sold on eBay.

I drilled out the "holes" in the other caps, plus I got the Warranty Sticker (very nice repop), the Warning Tag, and a "Delco" battery sticker for the side of the battery... Overkill, eh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts