Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The delay wiper switch for the rear wiper on my 97 Grand Cherokee looks like it would work for my '71 El Camino. I am assuming the delay is caused by a variable resistor within the switch itself, not anything on the wiper motor. Is that a valid assumption? Has anyone tried this before? The stock switch is dash mounted with two speeds.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Well, actually, it's a little more complex than that. There is an electronic timing circuit of which the control is but a small part of. Does your El Camino have the hidden wipers? If it does, I don't think the delay will function properly because of the "parking" feature built into the wiper geartrain assembly. Maybe someone who has tried it can come up with a better answer.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
551,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Actually I'd be curious to know how well it fits into an existing dash. I'm not big on chopping dashes. I toy with the idea for my 72 every winter and put the idea away each spring. Jerry's right about the delay circuitry in addition to the variable switch. Circuits could be built to make them work. However, there is a little gadget that has been on the shelves for years called a delay relay which varies open/close time by selecting a resistor. Something like a pair of these which a variable switch might do it.
Let me know how well it fits. Maybe come up with a cheap idea anyone can install.
John

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jonh:
I have a 71 with hidden wipers that has a variable speed control. Seems to work ok. Jon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
jonh
There are a lot of ways this could be done. How did you do yours? Was it something that anyone could get the parts from another vehicle and hook up? There have been aftermarket circuits and one could put something together with a cheap 555 chip to an SCR but maybe you have the way any member can do it. Ok, instructions please.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It's relatively easy to design a timing circuit with a 555 timer IC, but the biggest problem I see is that little "dance" the hidden wipers do every time they park. It's a little tough on the linkage to have that happening every 15 seconds or so! Next time you have an opportunity to watch the eccentric crank on the wiper motor right before the wipers "park", you'll see what I mean. "Start-up" isn't a pretty sight either, so I can only imagine the stress put on the "ball and socket" assembly on the linkage as it goes through these short cycles. Especially if the assembly is 30+ years old!

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
553,000+ miles on car.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
John:
My el came with this switch when I bought it.
It has a 2,10,20 second delay. The only time I used this sw. is when I bought the car and, it seemed ok to me. It has a g/w ground, or/ for power, blue for wiper. If you would like me to mail this to you I will. Not that far from U. There probably is a 555 timer or there abouts inside. Let me know. Jon

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
I bought one from PEP boys with the variable delay. The reason I got it was the mount for the stock switch on the sweep dash I had was broken and I couldn't turn it on and off with one hand. The delay only takes 2 connections and it worked fine with the hidden wipers but would not fit in the stock location. It had an on and off awitch so I used it instead of the stock switch, mounted it to the dash with self tapping screws.

If somebody comes up with one that fits the stock location I'd love to have one!

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If other projects don't get in the way this week, I'll see if I can come up with a prototype that mounts under the dash. What I'd like to do is find a way to use a late model directional "stalk" for the directionals AND wipers, bypassing the switch on the dash. As many times as I've had the directional switches apart in the Chevelle AND my 86 Olds, I've never actualy compared the two as far as compatability. Anyone ever try to use the directional switch from a later model GM car?

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
553,000+ miles on car.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MalibuJerry350:
If other projects don't get in the way this week, I'll see if I can come up with a prototype that mounts under the dash. What I'd like to do is find a way to use a late model directional "stalk" for the directionals AND wipers, bypassing the switch on the dash. As many times as I've had the directional switches apart in the Chevelle AND my 86 Olds, I've never actualy compared the two as far as compatability. Anyone ever try to use the directional switch from a later model GM car?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jerry
Just got back in town. Your 86 Olds and the Chevelles share the same actuating/cancelling cam but the switch wiring is diffferent. Hope you didn't spend the weekend tearing everything down. In fact the directional signal wiring is different from the 82 Olds Cutless and your 86.
Part of the problem you will run into trying to move an 86 stalk into a Chevelle is the metal lever the 86 stalk screws on to. On a Chevelle the lever screws directly on to the cam. The 86 does not. There is a metal lever between the two and I think it would cause an alignment offset if you could get it in there.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Thanks, John! No, I spent the weekend doing other stuff around the house. On Sunday I helped my son change the passenger door on the Olds. The old door had "speed holes" rotted through the skin!
A perfect door from a "bone yard" cured that.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
553,000+ miles on car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts