Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Lunati cam that I just finish degreeing in. According to the cam card it is 4 degrees advanced upon assembly. My Question is how do I find out the total degrees of advance when I time it from the balancer?

·
Registered
37 Posts
355 Monza
If you are talking about timming the cam 4 deg. using the balancer it can't be done. You need a degree wheel to do that. If you are talking about setting the ignition timming after the cam has been installed that's no problem.
Most cams are ground advanced. All that means is that when you install the cam useing the dots on the crank sprocket and cam sprocket, or use a degree wheel and the opening and closing specs on the cam card that comes with the cam, the angle (number of degrees) between top dead center and the center of the exhaust lobe and intake lobe are not equal. This puts the cam in an advanced position.
This affects the relationship between the cam and the crank. It wiil have no influence upon setting the ignition timming. Set the timming just like you would if it was a stock engine. As you rotate the dist. and set the timming with a timming light using the timming mark on the balancer you will be adjusting the relationship between the crankshaft (and piston position AKA TDC) and the point of ignition. You do not need to compensate for any cam advance or retard.
Hope this makes sense.

[This message has been edited by GaryR (edited 02-08-2000).]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.