Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the dash and all ductwork from my 70 El Camino with AC. I'm finally starting to put it back together. When I screwed the defroster ducts to the bottom of the windshield area, I noticed the duct is about a 1 1/2" short of meeting the metal grill on the heater box. My Assembly Manual shows the duct attaching directly to the heater box with a tab and 1 screw. There is no tab or hole on the duct, plus it's too short. Is there a sleeve or something else that goes between the two? I searched the catalogs and can't find anything.

Any help would be appreciated before I break out the duct tape! Happy 4th!

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Yours is likely broken. There's supposed to be a tab....

The couple times I've done it, there has been a gap there. Roughly big enough to stick your finger in, but there was the tab to hold it in place... It's just a little metal tab with a hole in it for the screw. You could make one easily enough.

-Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave. I guess the design is to allow some of the air flow to dissipate through the gap? Thanks again. I'll make a small tab and attach it to both pieces. At least now I know I'm not missing something else.

Thanks, this websight has saved me hours and answered questions that I never could have found anywhere else.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts