Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tore into my 1969 chevelle malibu this morning after I ran out of gas less than a mile from my house (how embarrasing ) I have checked power to the gauge,ran a temp ground to the metal base of the gauge, checked continunity from gauge to rear wiring harness, continunity from rear wiring harness to tank sending unit, all checked out. I get about 11.6 volts to the gauge and about 8.30 volts dc to the sending unit. I get 0 volts from the connection at top of the unit to the strap that goes to ( I think is the reostat half way down the pickup. I have run a temp ground off the tank sending unit and run a temp ground to the gauge housing, all to no avail. I have the unit out of the tank and at one point got the gauge to register 3/4 of a tank,but when I moved the float lever it went back to way over full. I suspect the sending unit is bad. Does anyone out there share that opinion or have something to add that I have missed in troubleshooting process ? I would like to be a little more sure before I purchased a new sending unit. Thanks

Ted

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When back in the garage after I wrote this post. I took a jumper and hooked it up between the gauge connection on the top of the sender and the connection for the reostat half way down the pickup tube and guess what ???? When I grounded the sender and turned on the ignition the gauge it registered exactly what the position of the float was. Problem solved. I ordered a new sending unit this afternoon online and should have it back together by the weekend. Thanks to all who replied to my problem.

Ted

1 - 4 of 4 Posts