Team Chevelle banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s Deer season in PA. I was hunting in Clearfield County. Well I didn’t bag a Buck but I did see some Does and this guy.

Plant Wood Carnivore Felidae Trunk

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy Chevelle
1,512 Posts
Looks like he saw you. I wonder if he smells blood in the air.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
I saw an article just today about a lady that is 100 miles north of Pittsburgh who got her deer and when she and her husband went to pick it up, 4 bears were devouring it!
I remember when I lived there that deer hunting was a serious business, school was closed the first day of deer season.

Reactions: jeff swisher

·
Registered
881 Posts
Seems Bear tags would be a thing to have.

·
Premium Member
5,044 Posts
Pennsylvania does have a bear season, but the details escape me after all these years. I can tell that I did NOT like the meat the one time I had it!

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
We hear tell of bears in southern NY where i hunt.

Man, I AM geting old. By now all the big boys are clinging to the hilltops, and at 60 yrs old, a 1000 yd drag doesnt seem all that fun anymore! ( hunting state land, no mechanized devices or horses) Aw hell, I cant drag a deer 200 , much less 1000 anymore.

PS so far this season, one highlight was watching a bald eagle drag a muskrat or some decently large fur bearing mammal, across a plowed field into the woodline. One leg on the " Thanksgiving feast" , one jumping, and wings a flappin'. Boy if I wasnt on a narrow road with someone behind us, I should have stopped to get a video!

THose beasts are the size of little kids !!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I tagged out during bow season this year, so had to sit gun season out, but my boss got an up close view of a sow and two cubs. Speaking of eagles, we are starting to see a lot of them in the last couple of years, my neighbor always says they are tasty, taste just like spotted owl!:eek:

·
Premium Member
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here in PA for the last couple years the opening of Deer/ gun season has been on Saturday after Thanksgiving. Ive been hunting since I was sixteen and opening Deer/gun was allways Monday after Thanksgiving. Most schools had that Monday off so kids could go with their fathers. I took my son since he was fifteen. But lots of people said it was hard for they to get off work on Monday. So im thinking with the dwindleing number of hunters they caved in and changed the day to try to get as many hunters as possible.

Reactions: blue_69_malibu

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
In ca hunting for meat=grocery shopping.

Is bear meat any good, never tired it. Would love some fresh elk or venison meat simply cant get it here.

Step parents have a 100 yr old cabin in Crestline Ca. More than once a black bear appeared in the yard, in a tree etc.
Gotta be on your guard

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
In Panola OK. school let out for the entire deer gun season many years ago.
Small town.
Our deer limit now is 7 here in Oklahoma and has been 6 for quite some time.
I do not buy ground meat at the store and have not for many years.

We have a bear season here but it is limited to so many harvested and only a few counties on the eastern part of the state.
Would suck to have a bear eat your deer though.

Buddy got a deer with a bow and had 2 coyotes watching him as he was gutting it and one ran past him and about made him crap himself.
Coyotes are thick here.

Just got wild hogs in on a buddies property and will try to trap them soon.
Happy Hunting.
Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Where I hunt deer, the bear are usually denned up for the winter by Rifle Season. We just get to deal with the Wolves and Cougars. I prefer the bear because they usually head the other direction when they notice people!

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
I tagged out during bow season this year, so had to sit gun season out, but my boss got an up close view of a sow and two cubs. Speaking of eagles, we are starting to see a lot of them in the last couple of years, my neighbor always says they are tasty, taste just like spotted owl!:eek:
I wont be shooting any bald eagles to eat , thank you. Tell your neighbor to go buy some Purdue.

We have enough coyotes that a midnite shoot sometime in JanFeb may be on the books soon. Have to let the local residents know we plan on "lighting up" a hill top at midnite so the fuzz dont get called.

·
Registered
69 Cutlass S
74 Posts
Plant Automotive tire Nature Snow Wood

Been out the last 12 days in PA. My view this am with my 1965 Marlin.
Been a slow season, but wife took a doe last week, that plus venison left from last year will be enough. Still have a 3 week flintlock season after Christmas. Bear meat is excellent. But it must be cooled off and skinned asap.

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
I EFFED UP! Was milf or trophy hunting. Preferably MILF , as the big girls are still sweet-ass eatin'!

Was out the other afternoon. Finally saw movement at 4:00. A BIG DOE! Fat belly. Couldn't see its head too clearly at first. its now 4:28, and shooting time has 12 minutes left, and "she" takes off, pivots and is coming right down the trail I am parked against. I put the Leupold on "her" chest, then check " her" head to make sure its a she adn not a button buck or Darth Vader" as I call them. Nope no, anomolies on "her" head....

My prayers to the Great Spirit are answered and "she" stops coming straight at me, and turns to present an easy 70 yd broadside. I let a Brenneke fly out of dad's old smoothbore bolt gun. Reload, No need. Solid hit.

On a young-ish buck that must have "scrapped" his antlers completely off ta the base. WHne I walked up on him, I saw dark spots on his crown, which werent vsible in low light, even thru my Leupold. Man, was I pissed at myself. He was also the largest of the three he was running with, a spiker with "shootable" ( not for me ) 6-8" spikes, and a doe.

Big body and good meat, as it was cold and we got him right to the pig farm/ processor for skinning. Yet I know now to also check for discoloration on their crowns as well as "shape anomolies" to ensure I dont harvest young bucks. I knew it wasnt a 4 yr old deer due to its muzzle shape,but dang the big belly had me fooled.

So its dark out, biting a flashlight I set out to gut him, slip a bit with my skinning knife and punctured his stomach slightly. HOLY SHIT! this green ooze starts coming out like its under pressure! He had GORGED himself on grass to the point of his belly being bloated full!

Anyway, I offered up my now mitigated prayer of thanks to the Great Spirit for my harvest. 30 years of deer hunting and I am still learning from Mother Nature. ( Also prayed to the Great Spirit I can keep up my learning for many more years before my heart stops ticking or my legs give out! )

PS we're getting up to 70 mph winds later on, and its breezzy now. The one thing dad's old smoothbore wont do is hold a line in a stiff wind. 30 mph sidewind will move that slug near 5" to the right or left. 40-50 , dont bother. Might as well throw a tomahawk.

So , instead of driving a few hours into rifle territory ( 30-06 in this wind), I eelcetd to get some chores done and try again tomorrow. Last day of rifle season. Then I switch back to crossbow, flintlock for ten more days, where I can take a doe again. ( I had to cough up my one doe tag for my 'zero point' 2 yr old)

I WANT MY MILF TO EAT!

Good luck and be safe out there !

PS while I say my thanks to the Great Spirit, for the record I've done three Rosaries on stand so far. More to come. And hopefully thanks to GS again too! ✝

1 - 17 of 17 Posts