Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son recently bought a 72 Chevelle 2 dr base coupe with a number of performance mods. He's wondering what axle ratio it has. The housing has GM 68 3969277NF on it. Can anyone tell me if that is sufficient information to define the axle ratio? If not, what info is needed?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
Dad,
The code you will need is a 2 or 3 letter code that is actually stamped (engraved) into the passenger side axle tube. It will be facing the front of the car about 6-18 inches from the differential. If I remember correctly the letters will be no more than 3/8 inch tall.
you may need to send your son under with a wire brush to really clean the grease, etc. from the tube. He will also need a good light as even when clean the letters are hard to see.
The numbers you gave are the casting numbers that are molded into the housing. The letters you need are stamped. Post the letters and any other letter/number combinations you find there and someone will be able to help.
If the car has been modified the gears may have already been changed and the code will not be accurate. Good Luck rick

------------------

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 11-04-98).]

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 11-14-98).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick
Many thanks. I'll send my son down under to degrease and find the code number. Then I'll post it.
Best regards,
WileECoyoteSr

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rick,
The stamped #s on my axle tube are:
GCC 077 2
The diff is quite confusing, a hard start from a stop roasts the right tire ruthlessly. However the second gear rip gets action from both sides equally(still it throws the tail to the right slightly).
Any info available on this would help greatly!
Rob
(Coyotejr's little brother)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George
Thank you for your reply. I'll see that Rob gets it. That will explain the one bald tire instead of two.
Regards,
WileECoyoteSr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.