Team Chevelle banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have more information/tips on raising my vin#s from my engine stamp pad that were removed via the decking process? I searched the forum threads here, found this same question and partial answer from a 2004 post, but could not locate the person responding with the information on the acid process. Apparently he said using an acid process that raises or makes clear or readable the vin stamped in my engine pad where they have been ground off from decking.

I also have heard here magnafluxing the area might reveal vestiges of the vin stamp - this would be due to compressed casting material under the stamped numerals.

Any help is appreciated - I won't restamp it.

I tried to locate the member who originally posted an answer and reference to the acid process ... but do not see his name in the membership lists - so am re-asking the question.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,711 Posts
I see from your signature line that the car is a 69 ?? The vin on most 69's was on the side of the motor above the Oil filter.
The only thing you should have had on the front pad would have been a date / trans code with a "T" in front of it for Tonowanda.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle SS
542 Posts
The acid process, is a process usually used in the forensic field to lift or raise serial numbers that people have scraped off to hide it. Do a search on google under serial number restoration. It might turn up something but probably not a whole lot, because the field in forensics can get pretty complicated. But there are several ways to achieve what you are trying to do.

·
Premium Member
19,947 Posts
I see from your signature line that the car is a 69 ?? The vin on most 69's was on the side of the motor above the Oil filter.
The only thing you should have had on the front pad would have been a date / trans code with a "T" in front of it for Tonowanda.

Education time again.

With respect to partial VINs in 1969, only Atlanta and Kansas City 396 engines were stamped by the oil filter.
http://chevellestuff.net/1969/chevelle/engines/vin_location.htm

Batimore, Framingham, and Fremont 396 engines as well as all small block engines from all the plants were still on the engine pad.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks fellas - confirms all that I expected then. I'm on the right track. :):) .. This a 1969 SS, L34, assembled in Baltimore late July, engine casting from Tonawanda at begin of July, heads same date ... and the VIN was on the stamp pad ... haven't looked by oil filter ... though I've been down there a lot over the years - but will look just in case...

I understand the etching process and read the referenced links' info you all pointed me to - THANKS again and makes perfect sense. I will try it if I can get to the stamp pad?? without pulling the head - maybe take off alt (son calls it generator). As old fella with chemistry minor I'll look into to the etching process, and would also say to anyone else reading these post NOT to try etching (of any kind) without good knowledge and experience with such chemical reaction. get a friend with that background to help. Etching with acid or bases always involves a gas being released as part of the reaction ... if inhaled, likely will really cause damage to you! (Chlorine gas released when using Hydrochloric acid can easily be fatal, for example.)

Lukily I had recorded the Vin stamps in several places before I started the restoration. On the engine stamp pad, the transmission (Muncie M21), and the firewall somewhere behind the heater motor & duct area I recall ... interesting.

·
Registered
1972 Chevelle SS
542 Posts
Im going to be in lawenforcement which is how I know about some of the processes but my dad was a crime scene investigator for the sheriffs dept and is an expert in fingerprinting and serial number restoration. See what u can do and go from there. Like you said it can be pretty complicated.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,005 Posts
you could just look at the title to get the serial number.

so what's wrong with restamping it? at least you have the original,the Corvette guys don't even pretend anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts