Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I'm going to pick up my brand new 330 hp GM crate motor from a local dealership (I work there . . . BANK discounts) and I'm facing a dilemma . . .

I'm trying to decide between a B&M 144 blower (mild and compatible with the motor's 9:1 CR) or a really good fuel injection kit. I'm not going to have the money to do both because I need a pulley kit and new suspension either way I go.

I'm leaning toward blower, but I want a couple of outside opinions. Thanks!--Amanda

·
Registered
18 Posts
BLOWER, blower blower blower BLOWER, blower blower blower BLLOWER.
unless of course you want the efi really bad.
blower
and theres a huge cool factor with the blower too
blower
Are you going to use this as a daily driver?
did I mention Blower?

------------------
Robert H. Byers
1969 396ss
[email protected]
Clan Byers Racing
F(aster)T(han)Y(ou)
Team Chevelle Member # 225

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, this is going to be a daily driver. Tired of the old GTI
--Amanda

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Amanda,

As a fellow Californian (read: familiar with high gas prices and long trips everywhere) and a '69 Camaro 'frequent' driver I too have thought about this. Here is my "Loves-me-loves-me not" list:

Blower loves me: Way cool, big power
Blower not: Reliability, mileage, non-stock hood (more $$)

FI Loves me: Mileage, driveability, way cool
FI not: Same power, big learning curve

My conclusion: Neither. I replaced the powerglide with a 700 R-4 that gives me low end torque and overdrive for mileage. I guess that maybe I only added to your dilemma but it worked for me.

·
Registered
13,013 Posts
At the light, a blower says "I'm gonna kick your a#%, so don't even try".
FI says---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------, Oh, I guess you can't see the FI. Therefore, no statement. But YOU know it is there, and all the benefits it provides.

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I already have a fiberglass cowl hood (plus the 144 fits under the stock hood) and I drive a muscle car, so gas mileage isn't a concern

I guess my question really is:
is a blower too much go for a daily driver? Even a REALLY mild one? I guess I want to be convinced that it's a good idea
--Amanda

·
Registered
336 Posts
if you're going to spend thousands on a "mild" supercharger I would spend it on building up the motor to be just as powerful, or MORE powerful naturally aspirated..

They installed a Holley small block fuel injection kit on shadetree mechanic a week or two ago and it was REALLY slick, if I am ever in the market for an efi setup, thats they way im gonna go...

blower on a daily driver seems like too much to me but then again my daily driver has 4.56's now and a whiney gear drive and gets about 5mpg so who the hell am I to say?

if you want the "wow" factor definately go with a blower! i think it would be extremely cool to install & tune a FI setup though. on shadetree mechanic they installed a holley annihilator (?) billet distributor with a remote for controlling timing too.. that was definately cool and something to think about too.. well anyways keep us posted on what you get..

Mike

·
Registered
336 Posts
Blower, Blower, Blower
The small B&M blower should not give you much problems for street driving, that is not a 6/71 type is it? That would be a nice upgrade for the 350/330 crate motor.
You are not going to get too much more than 330-350 HP with a FI system without swapping out the cam or changing the heads. The Blower will work great with the crate motor without touching it at all. Which is why crate motors are cool otherwise send it back and buy a ZZ4 or get a short block and fast burn heads Should be able to exceed 400HP easily with the blower and 350/330. Blower, Blower Blower

------------------

·
Administrator
15,343 Posts
Amanda,

I like the blower.(Everyone has to remember the Tshirt motto) The one question I have is what about Johnny Law? Is the car going to slip past the sniffer or does it even need to. The plus about fuel injection is if you know what you are doing with a laptop/software tuning can be fun thing to tinker with, even on the go. You can always add the FI later......

------------------
Jeff ACES#841 TCG#158
68 SS396(454)
68 L78 Project
87 MC SS

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hey Amanda,

Now that I have a little more insight to your thinking I feel you should go with the blower. A friend of mine works for B&M and he says that a lot of people get 100,000 miles out of these units. Let us(me) know how it works out 'cause we're(I'm) too chicken to do it ourselves(myself).

Hey Jeff, beleive it or not California has a soft spot for us Muscle Car enthusiasts as cars '73 and older are exempt from smog inspections.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 07-16-99).]

·
Registered
5 Posts
The 330hp will be pretty sweet. On the blower, will the 144 fit the vortec heads bolt pattern on the new 330hp? Maybe for that extra kick in power a little NOS? Good luck on a decision, Scott.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I vote blower.Whens the last time you heard someone say "You get the most bang for your buck with fuel injection."For the money the blower will produce the most power and with proper tuning will be very reliable.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
TC #127

·
Registered
104 Posts
Injection is nice but I'd rather be BLOWN....
BLOWER BLOWER BLOWER BLOWER.AH heck just blow it..........................................

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Amanda, I see by the majority that the blower seems to be the hot ticket, but I didn't see anyone ask about the compression ratio. That engine probably has too much compression ratio for a blower and will have serious detonation. The usual compression ratio for a blower engine is around 7 to 1 or maybe a little higher. Just a few thoughts to add to your decision/delimna. I'd like to see what BillK has to say about this.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey Amanda, I read somewhere that GM is coming out with a bunch of EFI systems over the counter for performance applcations.With the employee discount, this may be pretty attractive. ( I know everyone else says blower, but I doubt most of those folks run one! EFI is not really too cool but for a daily driver I think it's a great solution espcially the tune-ability of it, particularyly if you add a baby bottle to it - a laughing baby bottle that is.)

Goodluck with your choice.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-19-99).]

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 144 blower with a 5-6 lb pulley will run on the 9:1 motor fine without detonation. Like I said I'm going MILD.

THanks for all your opinions! The only dilemma I face now is making sure that the damn thing is compatible with the VORTEC heads (4 bolt manifold as opposed to a 6 bolt). If not, then I'll just pull my old heads and use those (Sportsman IIs).

I wanted to have it done for Hot August Nights here on the west coast, but it's looking like I might not make it
I'll just have to put some boogie on it!--Amanda

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.