Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first toy car after 23 years this April. My work kept me real busy until early June, when I finally got this girl road worthy. I've had her on the road for only a few weeks now.

'67 SS 396 all original except motor and a really f'ed up paint job. Good metal. Strong 396 ( out of a '68 Camaro ) but I don't think the motor was balanced. Unbalanced motors are a total no go with me. I can't have any fun when I feel the bottom end shaking. DONT EVER DO A HOT REBUILD WITHOUT BALANCING THE RECIP ASSEMBLY!

Anyway, I was planning on puttting my '67 L88 in this car either as an L88 or an L72 with tripower.

I bought the car for $5500 and have approximately another 1200 into it.

The guy who set up the front end was smitten with the car and is willing to give me 7000 for her. Not much profit for the approx 40 hours of work I have into it. ( But I haven't done this in over 20 years, it would've taken any one of you guys 10-15 hours to do the same work I'm sure ).

After I put a needed coat of wax on her, I realized that the paint is worse than I thought. She'll have to be completely stripped to get it right. I wanted the car back to the original Bolero red.

I'm going to drive around to a few paint shops to see what I'm up against. I'm guessing $4-5000 for the paint work. Lots of labor in stripping.

So, do I wheel my '67 and look for another home for my L88? The car will have 6800 plus 3000 for the L88 ( motor work I can do!), plus 4500 for paint = 14300. WOW.

I can probably find a 67/68 Vette for that kind of cash. ( Actually prefer the early 'Elles to Vettes or Camaros ).

What would you do?

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Registered
367 Posts
Gene, the question is, what do YOU want to do? It's your car and you know that, in this hobby, you (almost)never build a car and sell it for more than you have into it. I'm building my '67 now (and have been for nearly 2 years) and I'm looking forward to hearing it and driving it SOOOO bad!! Personally, I'd take your Chevelle (454?) over a Vette any day. But if sinking a ton of money to make it what you want isn't feasable, then find another car that you'd be happier with and is closer to being completed. But I vote for sticking with the Chevelle!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaDon, it's a 396 not original. ANd the engine isn't balanced so I'll rip it up if I drive it the way I want.

It's a tough call. I'm smitten with the Chevelle! I really like the early ones. I was planning on doing a Skip Cain type 427 tri buildup on her. I'll never get the $20,000+ that Skip got 'cause my '67 won't be as professional as his. Irrelevant really 'cause I'll never sell it when it's done.

BTW, there is nothing like rowing through the gears in a 4 speed BBC car. Nothing. I always had T350's and 400 in my early cars. That was the thing to do in the late 70 's. Now I'm older, more nostalgic and love the feel of a stick! Getting a stout big block spinning at close to 7 is such a rush. The only thing close that I've felt since then is falling out of a prefectly good airplane!

Don, hurry up with that '67! You're gonna love it!

W

·
0 Posts
OK Tri Man, here is a deal. I will trade you my 93 LT-1 vette for the 67 and all the parts, and I do mean all the parts, 27, tri setup. You don't need to paint jack.

You get a 93 torch red coupe, all options, even ride control, all original, nice car.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gene, A bud of mine had a 350 Nova that would shake our teeth out when he buzzed it up. Found out he used an external blanced 400 flywheel. Swapped it out for the internal balance wheel and the motor was smooth as silk.

I'm all for keeping the Chevelle. Good, clean, rust free bodies are hard to find. If it were me, I'd go with that nasty L-88 and let the big dog eat! Rob

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wally, you don't understand. I meticulously rebuilt the L88 when I was 17/18. Had to sell it to a friend before I ever got a chance to play -- college. ( It cost me $600 back in 1978 which was alot of beans for a high school kid, even with two jobs.)

It sort of stayed "in the family" and I bought it back last year. I'll never sell that motor again. Ever. ( Plus I bought it back for 1800 which was a steal ).

Come to find out from a Corvette guy in my home town that it was a "crate" motor,i.e., bought from Chevy in 1968 as an engine assembly, never in a car. He knew the motor and the guy I bought it from.

And I think WOW, what a prefect motor to put in a '67 Chevelle. And I'll call it a wannbe COPO. And the original 396 was spun out by my '67s first owner. Just seemed to fit together too well.

Rob, the 396 doesn't shake your teeth out. It's subtle. I used to work on motor every day as a machinists apprentice. Maybe I'm too fastidiuos or meticulous about it, but I will not take her above 5000. I don't think it's a 454 balancer.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Gene,
My opinion may not mean much here (we're putting a 350 in our '67 and I've never owned or even driven a BB car), but a 3x2 427-urged '67 sounds way too cool! There's just something about it...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TH, no I appreciate your input. I totally share your sentiment. It seems foolish for a guy like me who makes decisions about, literally, millions of dollars to be so perplexed about a piece of iron ( not my own money, gentlemen just what I do to pay my bills ). I guess I'm looking for a sign or a gut feeling as to which way to go. All your help is appreciated.

Wally, BTW and I don't mean anything personal about this. A late model Vette, while a very nice car, is too "yuppie" for me. Yuppieness really tweaks me.( much to my wife's chagrin ) Alot of my friends are. And alot aren't. I have no right to judge others. It's not rational and maybe unfair, but I pride myself in my attempt to be unyuppie. I spit, I swear, and I'm the only one of my buds I know that had the felling that I had to serve in uniform. Duty, honor, country. But your offer is kind and more than fair. And if my wife knew of it, it'd be a done deal.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I can tell you that $14300 will only buy a 67 Vette that needs lots (and I mean Lots!) of work. I have over $35,000 in my 65 Vette and over $11,000 in my 68 Malibu. I couldn't sell either car for what I have in them. If anybody ever built a project car only to make money off of it, or even sell it for what you have in it, no one would ever start a project. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about it!!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob, you're right. I couldn't touch an original 67 BBC Vette. I've seen a few fixer-uppers ( mostly ex drag cars ). And if you mean it'll be a bigger money pit then your point is well taken. I noticed the huge premium on Vette parts when I bought my tripower intake.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If 4th gen vettes are yuppie, then 5th gen vettes are even worse. I don't know what you would call it. Maybe, for grandma and grandpa. Thats what people call the C4 when they have never experienced one. Try driving one at an autocross. You will want one so bad it will be all you can think about. Or just find a friend that will let you take it out for a spin. Nothing like it. Nothing. Most people never experience it, until you do you will not understand. The C4 is a real racecar, harsh, fast, mean. Kinda like a good handling Chevelle. The C5 is a cruiser, comfortable, quiet, boring. ie Grandpa's Caddi

[This message has been edited by David Nafarrete (edited 07-08-99).]

W

·
0 Posts
Yep, I will put my bone stock C-4 with traction control beside any 4 speed rat motor chevelle and kick his big behind off the line, then when the first small corner comes up, wave bye bye.

There is no comparison between the early straight axle cars with 53 chevy half ton truck font ends and the late C-4.

Oh well, it was just a thought.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 malibu

·
Registered
13,015 Posts
Gene,
If this is, or could become, the car you always wanted, do it to it and keep it.It's like Rob said, good clean no-rust bodies are hard to find. Yes, you can find another, at what price? If you are not a numbers purist and you like this car and can build it the way you want it, get it done and keep it. The days of wood ships and men of steel are gone. The days of steel Chevelles will also pass. Get yours now. (and the deuce coupes are damn near gone)

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
David, point taken. I've never driven one. Also academic since I'll NEVER sell my L88 again. I had the pleasure of rowing through the gears in a '67 Vette 427 and thought that was wonderfully raw! I'm sure Wally's Vette is totally cool too. Pushing my '67 through a fast corner would be suicidal!

Gentlemen, I just want a nice car to put my L88 in, no more, no less. Will it be the fastest, the best, the coolest? Don't care.

Wally, are you absolutely serious about your swap offer or are you just tuggin' my chain. A mere mention of this to my BOSS would mean a trip to MD.

I shouldn't have made the yuppie comment. You fellas don't know me but my Chevelle is sort of an escape from the very stuffy professional world I deal in. A relief actually. And David, I would rather drag than autocross any day. Just my preference. Maybe I'll grow up some day!

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I would hang on to her go looking at what you get for 7 grand I looked for a couple of years I am over 7 grand now it still needs paint and thats not counting the new eng that is long over due to be installed . Before you sell actually look at the cars in local papers etc . I think you may change your mind MIKE

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Gene- The question you have to ask yourself, is, "What can I buy for $14,300.00???"
Look through the car ads here, and maybe Hemmings. Picture what your car will look like when it's done. If you can find a car that's equivilent in price, quality, and optioned the way you want, that is done, and done right, then sell it. I can tell you that $14 K will buy a nice '67, but can you find one like you want? Tough call!
If it were I, I might pimp the guy a bit...maybe $8 or 9 K...
I really think you'd be better off keeping it and doing it like you want it. Like as mentioned, clean bodies are becoming harder to find!
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
gene,
I would go with the soild lift,fire breather in the 67,I got a ce 427 in my 67ss,It seems right at home.open the hood and it still makes the hair on my neck stand up.this combo just seems to make people goose pimple,+4-speed.I have been asked if i can see when im on it.I love this combo,makes ya kinda feel like your driving a c.o.p.o.I think you would be very happy with this set up.but thats just my opinion,I could be wrong.good luck with what ya do. 67rat member #199

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
to the C-4 guys
c-4 vettes are very high likings to me,but I like the nastalgic thing(yeh I know NICE SPELLING)nothin like raw,rip your head off horsepower.theres just something about a ill handleing car with gobbs of power that I love.I have high respect for c-4s. awsome cars!67rat member #199

·
Registered
149 Posts
I'd sell and try to find a car w/out and engine that had an excellent body and had already been painted. Maybe I accidentally ate some dreamsicles but I would think you could get a pretty slick motorless ride for 7 grand. If you did alot of shopping around and you know better, and a 67 is EXACTLY what you want, then I recommend keeping it.

------------------
Mike
formerly known as gotapileof70Malibu (so add 80 to my number of posts)
'70 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Well Gene, the very first guy who seen your Chevelle apparently wants to buy it. That means that you can probably enjoy it and sell it whenever you please. Don't rush it right now. It's summer, have a little fun and THEN decide.

This decision sounds like the very thing that you are trying to 'escape from' in the workplace. Nothing wrong with a vette, but I think the crowd you are looking for drives Chevelles!

[This message has been edited by Al (edited 07-08-99).]

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.