Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam debating getting and installing a shift kit or valve body in my th400 . My transmisson worked fine but since doing some performance work to it i want to help it out til i can get a new transmission done .

My cam doesn't have alot of vacuum and right now the vac. module is blocked off , so i shift it myself ( read thats not good for the trans thou )

The car is a track only car , so i don't mind shifting it myself and not sure if to get just a shift kit like the transgo 400 or 400s or just do a valve body for now . Would one be better since i have low vac with my cam and not using the vacuum module ?
Iam thinking just using the Transgo Performance 400 ( after reading posts here) for now and just getting a transmission built later with the valvebody /brake .
After reading posts here the shift kit doesn't seem to hard to install , any thoughts ?

James

·
Registered
202 Posts
Install the shift kit in full manual mode and let her eat!!! It's not hard, just keep everything clean and make sure to follow the instructions to the letter and you'll have no probs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey i got a th400 in my 69 and want it to stay in first gear longer.does blocking o the modulater valve do that?i have adjusted it but dont seen to changr anything but the firmness of the shift. any advice would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
hey i got a th400 in my 69 and want it to stay in first gear longer.does blocking o the modulater valve do that?i have adjusted it but dont seen to changr anything but the firmness of the shift. any advice would be appreciated
you need the b%m governor kit. But all the shift points will raise. For what you want just shift manually.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having low vacuum does not hurt anything. Engines with large cams start to pull good vacuum once you get around 2,500 rpm. Remember 454 LS6 Chevelles, Buick GSX, Oldsmobile W30, Pontiac Ram Air IVs, etc? They all had low vacuum and used TH400's, and they worked very well, especially once you installed a TransGo Performance Shift kit. Connect the vacuum modulator back up, this will help keep the front pump alive and the sealing rings too, and is much easier on the whole geartrain. Use the TransGo-3 if you want a full manual setup, and make sure to add the 2004R reverse to case cup plugs to help seal the case to center support, this will improve third gear. You will need two of them. Always use the vacuum modulator. Been doing this for over 30 years, and the TH400 when done right will take just about anything you can throw at it, and not for very much money either.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Why not just put in a manual valve body? Your shifting it manual anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.