Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I drop my Dakota off for an Oil change and a Tranny service, fluid filter, whatever....

They tell me it'll be ready at 3:30 and they close at 4... So I get there and my truck is still up on the lift... I pay (they raped me, but I'm not getting under to do it...) 4:30 it's finally done, they are trying to run out the door... I get in and go to drive away.... Tranny light comes on and the transmission is slipping worse than a clutch with 200k on it and I smell burning tranny fluid....

I go running, find the service guy and the mechanic who are trying to go home and tell them what's going on... At which point I now have to leave my truck and they said they'll call me tomorrow....

How the heck can you screw up a tranny fluid and filter change that bad? Supposedly they completely flush the tranny now instead of just changing the filter and whats in the pan....

It's about to snow here and we're stuck with 1 car I can actually drive... Thankfully my wife telecommutes on Mondays....

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
That stinks Allan.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
Next year I am buying a lift for the garage. The work force out there today is friggin terrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everytime my wifes car is at the dealer, oil finger prints on the door and steering wheel and interior, She's had 5 free oil changes because the can do it without the car getting dirty. One day I went to change the oil, had to use a breaker bar to get the drain plug off and the filter was tightened to no end. the car wasn't even a year old!!!!!!!!!
Sorry for my rant!!!!!!!!!

Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,358 Posts
I think I would have my truck towed to a good independent shop, but I guess its too late for that now. Did they not test drive it when they were finished ???? Those tranny flushes are a bunch of bull in my opinion. They do not change the filter, how does it get cleaned ?? They probably left a line loose after they did the flush. Or the wallet flush machine malfunctioned and did not get the trans full ?

Just my opinion,

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Hi Allen,
It is possible that when they pumped the fluid out of your transmission with the flush machine,a seal may have been damaged.I dont know how many miles are on your truck but we will not flush high mileage transmissions.In any event they are on the hook for this since the burden of verifying that they had a good transmission prior to the flush is on them.
Good Luck,
Vinny

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Allen,
It is possible that when they pumped the fluid out of your transmission with the flush machine,a seal may have been damaged.I dont know how many miles are on your truck but we will not flush high mileage transmissions.In any event they are on the hook for this since the burden of verifying that they had a good transmission prior to the flush is on them.
Good Luck,
Vinny
The truck has 71k on it.... And I don't baby it either...

G

·
RANT ON!!

Years ago I R&R'd an '89 Honda Accord's alt. my Daughter bought to save her some money.

The alt. was a rebuilt that I replaced so I know some SOB was into it before!!

Anyway, first, the axle nut was torqued to at least 1,000 pound foot b/c I had to use 3/4" stuff, w/ my second Son holding it on the nut as I jumped up and down, all 200 pounds of me on a 42" cheater bar and 3/4" "T"-handle!! I broke my 1/2" Craftsman adapter, a socket and new Challenger 1/2" breaker-bar stuff before I barrowed my neighbor's 3/4" "T"-handle and went to Sears and bought a new 3/4" socket to finish the job.. (That I gave to my neighbor for using his 3/4" "T"-handle!!)....

Well, I continue and the, (I figure), same SOB had ground the alt's lower mount through swing bolt's hex nut off ROUND!!!

AND it's in a hole/slot so I just got my trusty HFT air chisel out and go at it!! Not happy at all, the nerve of some SOB's that I figure are probably laughing at their Boss's Customers b/c they don't know how they f-- them until the next time.........

An afternoon's job turned into three days, not happy at all.........

pdq67

PS., I ended up buying a CHEAP HFT, 3/4" Chinese socket set b/c of this crap and I figure I have used it three times and it has paid for itself!!!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
722 Posts
I agree with Bill, flushes are bull. More than likley you had a build up of clutch, brass, plastic, aluminum and steel in the bottom of your pan. At 71,000 and if not serviced regularly it had a decent amount. We call flush machines money makers at our shop. You take a high mileage trans that's "not babied", flush all that crap loose and then you end up with a slipping unit. Someone tried to sell a flush machine to me and I asked the guy about what happened to all the material in the pan, he said it suck to the magnet. I said what about the aluminum, clutch material and brass ? His answer.."it sticks to the magnet".. Bottom line, look for a trans shop you get good feed back on. Have it checked out. more than likley it's bench time for yours.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Supposedly it was a defective filter.... I'm going to assume he never even put it on...
Thats a bunch of BS. Ill bet you about a 100 percent chance the technician was in a hurry to get out of the shop and forgot something or tighten something or whatever and since they have service writers that take care of the calling of customers. The service writer just covered his ass, the technicians ass, and the shops ass, and said that so and so part was defective. I have seen that happen several times.

Ill even admit that I have made mistakes as an auto technician and have had service writers stand up for me too, even though the repair mistake was totally my fault, but I have never severly damaged a car. So it would be unfair of me to say that about another shop handling a customer when I have been there before and seen it happen with other customers and technicians I have worked with in the past. All technicians have made a mistake here or there in the past, usually when we first start out in the field.

In other words, filters just dont come out defective. Or at least, I have never seen a defective filter ever, air, oil, transmission, etc, since I have been in this field the last 10 plus years.

·
In Memory of Kevin
2,171 Posts
Supposedly it was a defective filter.... I'm going to assume he never even put it on...
did you ask for the part back or to at least see it? ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts