Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a '71 that is kind of a conglomeration of a few cars. The dash is '72 SS, wiring is from one '71 SS, gauges from another '71 SS. I recently put the dash back in the car ('71 malibu) and all the gauges are dead. The amp gauge ws replaced with a volt gauge and is not hooked up under the hood. The fuel gauge is also not plugged in. The oil light has blinked on a time or 2, but not when it should/shouldn't. Tach doesn't work, and temp gauge does nothing. The car fires right up of the key, the dash lights work good, and the printed circuit is new. Do I need a ground from the cluster to the body? does the amp gauge need to be hooked up for things to work? any help or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
It doesn't sound like an ignition switch problem since the car starts. Since the fuel gage isn't plugged in, see if there is 12 volts to ground on the pink wire. Key needs to be on. This wire is fused after the ignition switch and would be one place to start looking at things.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eberhama:
Do I need a ground from the cluster to the body? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are (supposed to be) three gound wires that attach to the cluster in the dash harness. They should be really obvious. One hooks to the (help me remember, everyone!) brace by the wiper switch, one goes directly on the cluster (one of the screws on the back), don't remember where the third goes).

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint

Before
After

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WE HAVE GAUGES!!!

As John pointed out, pink is the hot wire, so it helps a great deal to have this hooked up under the hood. Thanks again guys...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Great it works but not sure what pink wire under the hood you hooked up. The pink I was talking about is under the dash.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From the gauges it goes straight down to the engine side of the bulkhead connector, from there it runs straight out to the horn relay to get 12v power. No horn relay hooked up= No gauges.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.