Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my car back on the road and this is how she treats me. I just put in a high end sound system and and now my cars dead. I was driving it around town yesturday and it ran out of gas, so I thought. come to find out it was my electric fuel pump that was not working. I got some more gas and when I went to turn the ignition over, there was nothing. no click or anything. I tried jump starting the car and still nothing. I got it home and charged the battery, now fully charged, nothing. It's like the battery is not hooked up. I don't have lights or any other electical device that is working. I am fully aware that the addition of the stereo could have put a great strain on the electrical system, but would it cause the problem I am now experiencing? What else may have failed that will cause this problem? Starter, alternator, voltage regulator? I have not checked all the wiring yet but I thought I would check here first before I spend hours looking.
Thanks, Any help will be very appreciated

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You may have two problems. a, Why doesn't the car start now (everything dead)? b, Why did the car die? They may have the same answer but I can't tell. First the car needs to be running to see if there is a problem with the charging circuit. Can't see what car you have but some ideas on the first question if you are sure the battery is good.
Check the battery cables. Clean and tight.
Check the ground connections at the block and on the inner fender.
Since the whole car is dead, sounds like you don't have power to the fuse block. Measure a couple of the fuse clips or the BAT spade lug to ground. See if you have 12 volts to ground. You may have lost power to the fuse block somewhere under the hood. Loose connection around the horn relay or blown fusible link. My thoughts on where to start. Without more information I can't go further.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John. the car died origianlly because I have an electric fuel pump and I think power was lost to it while driving, that is why it died. on a different subject, once I find the problem, which I think may be related to a loose connection somewhere, I am planning on upgrading my alternator and going with a one wire setup. My question is this: I see that there are many different amp output ranges. Is there a way to go to big? I have a 67 chevelle, bigblock, electric fan, electric fuel pump, 1200 watt stereo system. I had one shop recommend a delco that puts out 94 amps. I have seen some that go as high as 140 amps. which should I go with?????

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You won't hurt your car by going bigger than you need on the alternator. They just cost more. Which one to go with? Maybe try a search (upper right corner) on what some others tried and liked. Maybe others will jump in later after work/school with their suggestions.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John, any more suggestions on amp output with the alternator will be helpful.

on a better note, I think I figured out my other problem. I relocated my battery to the trunk recently and ran my ground lead to the frame. when I tested it today I had zero voltage, but at the battery had 12v. I am assuming this is my problem and will check my connection tonight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts