Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a '69 SS396 with the Daytona Yellow SS-only paint code. What's odd to me is the dash between the two 76 characters. Has anyone ever seen this on a '69? For what it's worth I've owned a few Kansas built '69 Super Sports within 10,000 VINs of this car and none of them has ever had the dash. I know Kansas trim tags had some anomalies in '69...my old COPO didn't even have a paint code...so I'm guessing this is an original tag that was one of the oddballs.

As for the car itself, looks pretty solid but beat up. Maybe a $7500 car if the engine isn't original....

1969 Chevelle SS396

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
something wrong with that tag, I suspect older repro/replacement. The dashes and incorrect sequence on the last line and some of the number positions. Wonder if you could find any yellow if you pulled the weather strip? I checked tags around it that I have on file and no comparison.........

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,713 Posts
I'm thinking original trim tags were made of a metal that didn't corrode like that.

·
Premium Member
12,724 Posts
Was there such a thing as a replacement tag. I know little about tags. I would imagine that at the time it was someones job to sit at a station and punch in the information that was then stamped onto the trim tag. Is that even close to how it was done? Could it be as simple as the person that created this tag was not a regular at the task. Just trying to understang how the irregularites occured.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
I compared it to others in the same vin range and the format is not correct, if there were other tags like it I would have mentioned it to indicate there may have been an anomaly at the plant but I haven't seen any like that one. When I say replacement I mean someone replaced it with a tag made by someone, I have not heard of the factory making any replacements. Could it be original? who knows for sure but I am confident in my stating something isn't right with it based on the data I have.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
When did people start relating the L with big block cars? Is that new or has that been floating around for a while? Would that help date when this tag might have been changed?

Steve R

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I love it when overpriced cars have "firm" mentioned in the add.....and then they sit. And sit. And sit some more. Very firmly.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I love it when overpriced cars have "firm" mentioned in the add.....and then they sit. And sit. And sit some more. Very firmly.
so true ! been watching a 70 lemans for months on cl ! disappears after a couple weeks it reappears over and over probably 4 months ! price is still firm ! lol !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts