Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time I wanted front DAYTIME running lights on my '64 wagon for their safety value. When I discovered clear lenses for the front park/signal lights, I changed to them for the "look" and used amber dual-filament bulbs. [Clear lenses are available for most years, not '65.]

Then I discovered white/amber switchback LED lights. They're white in the park mode, switch to amber for turn signaling and then back to white when the signal cancels. The front park light circuit is separate from the rear. I spliced the fronts to "IGN" from the fuse block so they're on when the engine is running. Right now, with the headlight switch in the first notch, lamp voltage back-feeds to the ignition and the engine runs with the key off. Later I'll add a relay to separate the "park" mode from the "IGN" mode. ["Steering Diodes" have too much forward resistance.] Note: If all the signal lights are changed to LEDs, an electronic flasher module is required. I found the brightest Switchback LEDs I could, here's how they look on a bright summer day from 500'.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 65 and you’re right, I have only found amber lens. I am interested in how you did this. My vehicle is completely rewired using American Autowires kit and I identified an unused ign wire that I can use so no splicing needed. Did you simply replace the bulbs?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main purpose of my project was to have DRLs that are on when the engine is running. I tied into the purple wire at the headlight switch connector for powering the front parking lamps only. I ran a wire from an 'extra' IGN blade connection at the fuse block. The results are as originally described.

To avoid the wiring challenge you can just turn the parking lights on and off, and find much brighter LED 'bulbs' for visibility by oncoming cars. I haven't found any 1157 amber/amber switchback lamps. White/amber would work OK, the white light through the amber lens might look less amber. That could be OK for the DRL mode, brightness is what's important. Look for lamps that use fewer, brighter LEDs. Those that use 3030 SMD LEDs are good candidates. Some are much fatter just above the connector and might not fit in the parking light assembly. Look for ones that are about the same diameter, and even then it might be necessary to grind or file away some heat sink metal to get them in.

For the best results, you'll need to solve the amber lens problem. The '64 lenses are 1.75" x 5.75", maybe you can find a way to make clear ones fit your '65.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,455 Posts
:cool: The problem with driving with the "Parking Lights" on is that is illegal in all states, territories, possessions of the USA and provinces of Canada. With my luck I'd find the only highway cop who actually enforces that law...

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I never did understand the reason for daytime running lights.
I push the park brake down one click on my Suburban to turn them off.
:cool: The problem with driving with the "Parking Lights" on is that is illegal in all states, territories, and possessions of the USA and provinces and territories of Canada (probably in Mexico too). With my luck I'd find the only highway cop in the state who actually enforces that law...

I fully agree with the concept of DRLs, and I always have them on in The Wife's (2105) Impala. Why? Because when most people drive their main concern is not driving. Their concern is getting where they're going ASAP and they pretty much go though the motions of "looking" for other traffic (including motorcycles), stopping for stop signs, etc., and DRLs help get their limited attention so they see me (however, ever with the DRLs I often wonder what the heck some other motorists are thinking, if anything).

I did look into adding DRLs to my '69's front turn signal housings, but couldn't find an easy way to get the DRLs to go out when putting the turn signal on so the flashing turn signal could be seen flashing (maybe there's a electrical person here who can tell me how to wire that up without spending a mint)...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dean - The best reason for DRLs is the scofflaw drivers who don't turn on their headlights at dusk. Just because they can see "OK" it doesn't mean they can be seen by others.

Nickey - The California Vehicle Code supports your position. It does not address DRLs. I'd tell an officer or Judge that they cease to be parking lights when they're bright enough to be seen easily from 500' in bright sunshine. Some countries require DRLs. In the US they became permissible in 1995.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did look into adding DRLs to my '69's front turn signal housings, but couldn't find an easy way to get the DRLs to go out when putting the turn signal on so the flashing turn signal could be seen flashing (maybe there's a electrical person here who can tell me how to wire that up without spending a mint)...
Nickey and other '69 owners - I've studied the '69 wiring diagram ... the front and rear park light circuits aren't fully separate but there's a place they can be split. What's great is that the front lenses are clear! There's a reasonable path to getting results like mine. If you'd like to go further, I'd prefer to use email. I'm Roy at [email protected]

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Dean - The best reason for DRLs is the scofflaw drivers who don't turn on their headlights at dusk. Just because they can see "OK" it doesn't mean they can be seen by others.

Nickey - The California Vehicle Code supports your position. It does not address DRLs. I'd tell an officer or Judge that they cease to be parking lights when they're bright enough to be seen easily from 500' in bright sunshine. Some countries require DRLs. In the US they became permissible in 1995.
:cool: "Parking Lights" include Tail Lights, Side Marker Lights, and even your License Plate Light. DRLs do not, the prosecutor will cite the vehicle code and the judge will find for the prosecution (traffic courts, like criminal courts have nothing to do with what's "right" or that thing we call "justice"), For me, just getting dragged into court is a loss.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yep mandatory DRL's up here in Canada...The only problem I have with them is...The idiots that only have those on while driving after dark and no other lights to be seen.
No tail lights licence plate light side markers...nothing except when they hit the brakes.
You can flash you lights at them and they give you the finger...
Otherwise they are good in direct sunlight when the sun is in your eyes and the car is coming at you...especially on Motorcycles!

·
Gold Founding Member
63,185 Posts
In Kansas there is a law that if your wipers are on you have to have your headlights on also.

Driving on my pickup on the interstate today in a sleet storm, (first time to leave the house in many weeks) I couldn't hardly see anything out the driver's side mirror and was almost afraid to change lanes not being able to see if there was a vehicle there or not.
I couldn't believe there were so many people driving with no lights.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts