Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been throwing around the idea of adding a few "Day 2" parts to my chevelle. As much as I like original factory Detroit iron, part of me likes the popular add on items of the day, when tastefully done. What would have been a popular automatic floor shifter of the day? My car is a bench / column shift car. There already is a hole in the floor from an old floor shifter , also some evidence of big ol' traction bars. I do plan on running this car at the track several times a year also. So Cragars with slicks and headers are on the short list also! Have some fun and shoot me some ideas, especially on the shifter! thanks.

· Banned
5,681 Posts
  • Tires too wide for the wheelwell so you need to raise the rear
  • Lakewood ladders painted pale yellow
  • "Flying eye" air cleaner, motion style
  • Cal custom valve covers
  • Yellow plug wires
  • Vintage intake
  • Bias ply "square" tires.....Kelsey Hays sells the repop Goodyear L60s
  • Underdash 8-track with her garter belt to add some frill
  • Chrome straight door lock pulls
  • Stickers in the quarter window and on the inner fenders
  • White headers
  • Yellow high beams
  • Tow bar tabs
  • Raised front
  • Motion style finned rear end cover
These are the ideas I'm using on my '66 and should be period for a '70 also.
For me, this is just a fun way to dress up a muscle car without breaking out the welder or tin-snips. The shifter, not sure, maybe a B/M hydrostick?? The megashifters were in the 80's so that wouldn't work. Whichever you choose, leave the stub on the column and the indicator in the dash!

· Registered
6,267 Posts
B&M had the 60 series shifter, I don't think it had a reverse lock out so it wouldn't be legal. Hurst Dual Gate is a possibility. If your target is mid to late 70's a Turbo Action, Cheetah shifter might work.

You may want to shop eBay for Super Stock, Drag Racing USA, or National Dragster.

Steve R

· Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'm still working on the "day 16790" look.:D

· Premium Member
10,849 Posts
Older kids had a Hurst Dual Gate in their 70 SS Chevelle that we used to cruise in. The Dual Gate was not the in console kind, this one went into the floor, had a big boot. I emulated this in my 68 Nova in 1977 after HS.

short list for shopping.

o MT or Cal Custom finned AL valve covers
o some people had that wretched Edelbrock air cleaner with the foam and mesh
o most went with the GM chrome lid open element air cleaner assy
o Though most had the Torker, I pass on that for a 163 GM intake regardless what heads I had on it.
o coil on dash was popular
o glasspacks were en vogue though I ran Cherry Bomb brand 2.5" Turbo type mufflers
o way too much gear, too much cam, and shi+ for tires :)
o tach on steering column if you did not have a factory tach

My 68 Camaro ragtop project is nearly done. The born-with 2 bbl 327/210 with incorrect 1964 power pack heads on it ran, kinda, was good for several short trips around Seattle-Tacoma before I pulled the car down. Want a nice driver, not a show queen. Theme is Day2. Most back then would pirate good parts off the SS and Z28 cars... You can imagine every Vette or Z28 wrecked lost all the swappable perf parts soon as it hit the boneyard. Lots of those cars wrecked and junked. So that is what I am doing to my car, swapping in a few things. With this in mind, my 10-bolt 2.73 posi gets a break, had a 3.73-geared 12-bolt made. Powerglide yields to a 2004R for a good take off and the OD needed with 3.73s. The 327 got a bore and forged flattops, some big valve 291 heads were sourced, tuned by a local stock class racer with cyl head shop out back.

I went for the bigger 2.25" Z28 exhaust and am keeping the ext manifolds so I can cruise AND hear the passengers and tunes. No off the shelf cam for me, slipped in a sane but hefty HR to get good manners, some growl at the drive thru, and plenty of oats to feed the engine. Right now, stock orange valve covers, may go chrome. I did source an old Eddy C4B then a C3B which I will go with. Atop, will have a 670 Street Avenger (with elec choke) vs the old 600 Holleys we all used to run. Chrome GM air cleaner. Stepped up to the larger Z-28 size 15" vs stock 14" Rally wheels. Finding raised white letter tires is getting to be somewhat of a challenge...a few sizes are available, some on backorder. But, desiring cruise and period look more than handling for the moment, am looking at mild-size tires. Thinking about some RED LINES vs RWL tires but the cost difference is staggering! While the front end was off, I did throw in a bigger sway bar, worked in taller ball joints, etc...nice upgrade but sane. Big blingie tires and such down the road. Upgrades to the interior and dash will be period correct as custom stuff does not turn my crank much for the interior.

So she'll look mostly stock, stop good with the front disc brake upgrade, handle well, and just look like Day2

· Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the pointers! I literally was laughing out loud at some of the comments. I would really like to find one of those hurst auto sticks that resemble a 4 speed but I have a feeling they are really expensive and rare. I will continue looking at options. :thumbsup:

· Registered
6,267 Posts
You could get a Lokar, or some other similar shifter and fabricate a way to mount a Hurst handle onto it.

Please don't use MSD ignition, or the other obvious modern part. I see that all the time on "rat rods" and other "day two" wanna be's. It just ruins the whole car in my opinion, through the lack of continuity. It doesn't mean you need to go out and spend a fortune on old speed equipment, just be judicious when it comes to what you put on the car.

Please post pictures when done.

Steve R

· Premium Member
5,292 Posts
Planning on Cragars on the 66, probably before the ac install, hope they will be the next major item for the car.

Cragars, tach hose clamped to the steering column, jacked up rear, glass packs, cam sound, graduation tassle on the rearview, girl friend, 12 pack, and a drive in movie.

Wahoo!

· Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I was a cassette guy. Under dash of course along with an FM converter and a big 25 watt amp! 30 inch glass pack header mufflers, and it was still very loud. Loved it!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.