Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's the deal I bought a NOS dash harness for a 71 chevelle. The harness is for the SS gauges with the extra gauges. There's the question will this harness interchange with my 70 chevelle wiring?, I plan on installing all new wires and the only reason I bought this harness is because it was part of the deal that came with the NOS gauges. My understanding is that the only differnce between the 71 and 70 harness is the cig lighter plug is different, am I correct or would it be easier to sell that harness and buy one that is for a 70 chevelle?

Thanks for any help its much appreicated...Eric

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Eric

The harness will work fine in your 70. Yes The cig lighter connection is different, you will need the barrel? from a 71 or later GM cig lighter. Also the TCS is supplied from the radio fuse, 70 is supplied from the heat/AC fuse. Of course that has no effect on the fit and function.

·
Registered
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm pretty sure if you compare the two harnesses side by side, you will find different colored wires for the same circuits and more importantly that many of the wires are in different locations on the fuseblock which may result in some circuits not getting power. Actually if you look at the two wiring diagrams side by side you will see what I am talking about. I put a 70 harness into my 72. Initially I got no power to key. I had to pull the harness and move most of the pin connectors at the fuseblock using the two wiring diagrams to trace each circuit. Hope this was semi-understandable: I'm still drinking my coffee!

------------------
72 SS clone & UGLY 69 ragtop. www.NoNecksChevelle.com

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Noneck:
I put a 70 harness into my 72. Initially I got no power to key. I had to pull the harness and move most of the pin connectors at the fuseblock using the two wiring diagrams to trace each circuit. Hope this was semi-understandable: I'm still drinking my coffee!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
The 72 is an odd one both under the hood and under the dash. The 71 is a whole lot closer.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have harnesses from all three years. 70 and 71 are with the exception of the prior mentioned items the same. Wire colors and connection locations. 72s are different in many respects. This information is from first hand experience. The wire colors for the various components remain the same.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 03-24-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts