R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody tried to re-paint the trim on
there dashes. I have a 70ss396 with the
optional gauge package. It has silver painted
trim around dash edges and gauges. Any ideas
on what the exact color is and the best way to do it.

Thanks
Rob
[email protected]

·
Registered
162 Posts
Most people seem to recommend the metallic chrome silver paint pen by Testors. I got one at the local WalMart. Ive got my dash out and am getting ready to paint it so I havent tried it yet.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I've heard of several here who have done exactly what Kevin said. All of them happy with it.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
Hanging is too good for a man who makes puns; he should be drawn and quoted.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used a fine brush with Testors Chrome Silver. I think the paint pen would have saved alot of time and looked just as nice

·
Registered
446 Posts
The painted dashes that Iv'e seen come out the best are painted black first, then mask off and spray the area around the perimeter with duplicolor chrome. Then finish up with the testors paint pen around gauges and to highlight letters. The spray gives the larger area a little more shine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a word of caution here. Don't try to put a gloss clear over the silver when it's done, it will actually make the silver look muddy and dull. Sounds like it would be a good idea, but it's not. The marker is easier and faster and provides a more accurate end result than you could ever get with a brush.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Try Krylon "Original Chrome" and paint it on as thick as you can without loosing detail.Use several light coats.Then use polishing compound used for clear coat paint and it looks similar to the "original Chrome" from the factory.Only use a rag or polishing cloth ,not electric or air tools.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just finished restoring mine yesterday. I used SEM Landaeu Black and plastic prep for the dash itself and Testors paint pen for all the silver. Really turned out good. Just take your time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just finished my 68 dash a week ago. First I cleaned it off with denatured alcohol. Then I sprayed 4-5 very light coats of Krylon Semi-Flat black on the entire dash. Then I used the Testors silver paint pen and a pencil eraser to dab light coats onto the raised letters. I used a small brush to paint other areas. I did not re-silver the outer edge of the dash. It has a couple cracks and they are hidden better by being black. Overall, it looks very, very nice and it only cost $9.68!!! How much better would it have looked for the $600 it would have cost to have it rechromed and painted? I am sure not $550 worth!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I did the same as mabt. Click on my link. I have a couple pics of mine.

------------------
SWAMP

'68 El Camino
'69 Malibu...SS?
'90 Harley FXRP
My El Camino

1 - 10 of 10 Posts