Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for advice from anyone who has done a dash swap. I'm putting a 72 gauge dash in a 70 Malibu, that had a sweep dash. I've got both dashes out on the bench, swapping out all the components. Dave in Milwaukee has the harnesses, making one that will work for my project. If you have done one - is it easier to install the dash, and then the wiring harness, or connect all the wiring, then bolt up the dash?
thanks,
Rat

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Some dash trivia:
When I do 70-72 dashes, After the dash is close to its proper position, I have TWO 1/4"-20 pieces of All Thread about 10-12" long with one end bent at a 90 degree angle.
I screw them in at the outside edge of the dash and support the center with a pillow, WHY?
With the dash being held in p,ace with the two 12" long 1/4 " rods, You can work behind and on top with NO CHANCE of it falling in your lap and breaking.
Then when you are ready, Slide it in like a drawer, Then bolt it down, In the process, DO NOT forget the speedo cable ! :nerd:
Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
Some dash trivia:

When I do 70-72 dashes, After the dash is close to its proper position, I have TWO 1/4"-20 pieces of All Thread about 10-12" long with one end bent at a 90 degree angle.

I screw them in at the outside edge of the dash and support the center with a pillow, WHY?

With the dash being held in p,ace with the two 12" long 1/4 " rods, You can work behind and on top with NO CHANCE of it falling in your lap and breaking.

Then when you are ready, Slide it in like a drawer, Then bolt it down, In the process, DO NOT forget the speedo cable ! :nerd:

Bob

Great tip Bob! Thanks for sharing!

Freddy & Lucille

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the idea of supporting the dash with the all thread, but I'm having a hard time picturing how you do it. Do you screw them into the bolt holes that attach to the side frame pieces?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts