Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all the tips here on TC, I tried to make the repro dash for my '70 more correct looking. For a couple hours of prep and work, I think it came out fairly decent.

I can honestly tell you that I was pretty nervous going into this process. I didn't want to screw up my dash, but seeing the manufacturing mistakes every time I got behind the wheel would have bothered me something fierce. It would just eat at me, you know?

I used SEM Landau Black (from Auto Body Specialties in Middletown CT; about a 30 minute drive yesterday) to paint the small bezels. I masked the bezels carefully and applied several light coats.

I followed another helpful tip from here to highlight the lettering for the wiper switch and the lighter. I used a clean cloth (old shirt) tight against my index finger. I applied a some lacquer thinner to the cloth and blotted off almost all of it off onto a paper towel. I then CAREFULLY and GENTLY wiped my finger/cloth LIGHTLY against the surface of the letters. As the thinner slowly removed the paint, I would readjust the cloth to wipe with a clean, unstained part. It only took a few minutes and the letters look as good as they can (font and depth notwithstanding).

Now I am onto assembling all the new items (gauges, lighter, glove box etc.) onto the new dash panel. From what I read here, I may have to perform a little trimming for the heater controls to fit properly. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks again for the help and support. Sorry the pictures aren't that good, but does it look more correct to you guys?

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the kind words. I was in a great mood.......until I started to assemble the new gauge assembly for installation onto this dash. I had read to use the hardware from my old dash to assemble the new dash. Long story short, I cracked the black plastic gauge housing trying to mount the Amp Gauge assembly and the Fuel/Temp gauge assembly. Everything felt good and then I heard a crack! The screw boss had cracked. I looked at the gauge I had just mounted and found a crack in one of its screw bosses.

That brought everything to a screeching halt! WTF!?!?

By chance is anyone here be able to give me a list of all the hardware needed to assemble the gauges and mount them onto the dash please? Not the hardware to install the dash into the vehicle, but the hardware to assemble everything to get the dash ready for installation onto the vehicle. For instance, the speedometer is installed using 2 machine screws of some sort, but I don't have any hardware that fits.

If anyone here can help I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks all!

Uncle Hulka

1 - 6 of 6 Posts