Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stereo style dash cap in my '71 and I was wanting to install a pair of aftermarket 4X6 Pioneer speakers I have. The only problem is it looks as if the headlamp switch will interfere with the magnet on the bottom of the speaker.

I was wondering if anyone else ran into the same problem....how did you mount yours?

·
Registered
543 Posts
You will not have enough room for a speaker like that. I went with a 3" 2-way and use a larger full range in the doors to fill in the mis-bass and then 10" subs for the bottom octave. The detail and imaging from the 3" guys bouncing off the glass is real nice. I also mounted them on top with their own grills, opening up the dash pad and dropped the speaker in from the top.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I went with Infinity REF 3002's. I tracked down a grill from www.allelectronics.com (Part #SG-4.)
Actually, the 415 is a non moving monster right now. I test fired it a few times and it's a white knuckle ride for sure. What I got was a Motown short block from Speed-o-motive stuffed with the cam and pistons I wanted. The ElCamino is about 3 months away from the paint shop (last step!!!). I've been working on her for 4 1/2 years.... it should be good.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doc do you recommend mounting the speakers above or below the dash pad?

I kinda want to do the below for an incognito look. I was considering making some brackets out of an old piece of sheet metal and then somehow mounting the speakers inside of it.

Hope that 415 does well for you. Not to scare you but have heard some horror stories about speedomotive.com. I'd triple check everything first.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You can do what ever you like for mounting. I had an old dash pad that will get recovered, so I went ahead and mounted on top. It sounds good but you do see the speaker grills. I'm going to live with it for now see. The speakers will couple better if they have a good amount baffle (the flat surface you mount a speaker on) surrounding the speaker. The factory basicly stuffed the speaker up against the bottom of the dash pad but there was often a small gap. That would cause bass response to fall off. You could mount your speakers to a sheet metal plate and then surround the speaker cone with some peal-n-stick foam weatherstrip. Just don't let a gap form between the dash pad and speaker.
The engine has been a "so far, so good" thing up 'till and is running strong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts