Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to put new speakers in the stereo dash of my '70 Elky and I'd like to know what size would fit in there. I will be ordering some from Crutchfield; either 3½" of 4x6" ones. I might have to make my own brackets which shouldn't be a problem but I'm mainly concerned with the depth on these. I'm not sure what size speaker has the bigger magnets. I also found out that if you have a magnet sitting on the headlight switch it'll make the rear parking lights stop working. Thanks.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Super Moderator
13,090 Posts
Shawn,
I am pretty sure the 70 dash is the same as my 71. I dont think the 4 x 6's will fit. I am pretty certain that Crutchfield has a "chart" either on thier web page or in the catalog that tells you which speakers will fit in your car, even back to the 70's. If it would help, I can measure the depth of my speakers, the dash is off the car right now anyway.
Merry Xmas,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
The original factory size for your vehicle was 4X6, but with modern speakers, there might not be enough room. The driver's side had a speaker that was specially made with a turned magnet so it would clear the instruments.

So you might have to order smaller.

Joe

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
??? What about 4x6 plate type systems that have seperate woofers & tweeters? Think one of those would fit?

------------------
71 Ragtop, under construction and over budget!
MCC #347, TC (Gold) #174

·
Registered
16 Posts
SID,
The plates won't fit unless you modify the dash brackets a lot. I just got through taking the stock 4X6s out of my 70 (the speakers where dead) and drilling the brackets off them to put on a pair of Sony 4X6s. The drivers side it is a little tight. I decided to use nylon wire ties to secure the brackets. Good thing too because it needed to be moved a little when I went to install them. The magnet sits right on the dash bracket on both sides. Now that they are in I need to cap them because I get no lows at all out of them. I am not overly impressed with the sound quality that they give but it is an improvement over not having any speakers up there!
Next project is to figure out how to get a 6 1/2" and a 4" in the doors that will look good. I might end up having to make fiberglass door panels.

------------------
70 Elky, parts car
>or is it the other way around!
72 Elky, daily driver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.