Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to restore an ss dash and want to know if I should paint it with "Dash" paint or use vinyl dye. Let me know what worked best for you!! Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
My interior color is Saddle. The dash is darker than saddle and I could not find rattle-can dye colors that match it so I took a piece of the dash to the local parts store that does a lot of body shop paint supplies and they mixed me a pint of SEM Dye to match. I used a brush to apply it and it came out like new.
I suggest you use the dye vs paint as it won't fill in the grain of the dash.

Good luck.

Bill

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just did my 70 SS dash with dye. I used 'Landau Black' vinyl dye only AFTER used Eastwood's Paint Prep about 3 time until the old surface squeeked when I hit it with a cloth.

I taped the glove compartment key knob instead of trying to remove it (too lazy). Use black electrical tape to let it conform well. I did two coats a day apart in 60-70 low humidity weather and didn't touch it for a week. I also took the metal frame from the inside off (drilled out the bottom rivets) and wirebrushed it and hit it with rustoleum black primer.

Now here's the TRICK - Go to a craft store and go to the paint section. They sell paint pens - get the FINE TIP silver. Not the testors model type but the kind used for Calligraphy. Carefully paint all the silver trim around the instrumnets and lights including the words on the lights and wiper, etc. Looks GREAT!

When you take apart the gauges, get some green flourescent paint to do the areas that need it. If your lens are scratchedm use 3M light paint oxidation remover (cleaner/wax) and some elbow gease. Again worked GREAT.

Have fun!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys!! Where can I find the SEM dye? I have heard of people having great success with the rattle cans. I have a black dash, is there a particular shade of black I should use?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I prefer the dark black but the light black is nice also. Sorry, sometimes I'm just a smart a**, couldn't help myself. Seriously, a low luster looks better than a high gloss.

·
Registered
425 Posts
ddoler made a good point I forgot. Clean your dash etc with a Plastic Prep Cleaner. I have SEM 38353 and it works great. I use to to clean lots of things other than plastic.

SEM is the name of a Paint Supplier, SEM Products, Inc. Most paint supply shop carry SEM base to mix/match colors.
The base can be High Gloss, Satin, or low luster
ddoler, I'm going to get the silver pen the next time I drive by the craft store. Good tip.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.