Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweep-style speedometer and the lens has a scratch on the inside! How I do not know. I got the dash pad off no problem, now how do I get to the lens? It seems everything is bolted up somehow so I can't get to it. Either that or I'm a complete moron. I have a 72 Malibu. Please help.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Ok, let me think.
your not a moron, this is not easy.

You have the dash pad off. If you look at the back of the speedo you will see some small bolts with 1/4 inch heads that hold the speedo bezel to the dash (I think there are about 8 or so). Now the hard part. If your front window is still installed you will have to remove the entire dash board in order to remove the speedo bezel. this sounds like a bit** but its not that bad. once the bezel is out you can get to the screws that hold the plexiglass to the bezel.

To remove the dash board you need to remove the bolts that hold the dash frame to the cowl (should be 6) 4 bolts on the extreme left and right (top and bottom) and 2 in the center. You can leave all your wires and such connected but get a buddy to help hold the dash back while you slide the bezel out.

A reminder.. the idiot light bar can be removed first by removing the 3 screws behind the unused light holes(pry open the little panels and you will find them) This makes it easier to swing the bezel out.

Also, the scratch that appears to be behind the plastic could be internal crazing. If it is, polishing it wont help much.

I started on my dash with the intent of doing the exact same thing you are. I ended up installing a custom made digital guage set instead. I figured what the hell, its apart!

Good luck

Clark

·
Registered
227 Posts
I pulled and replaced the lens in my 71 sweep style dash. I know it wasn't easy but I don't recall having to unbolt the whole dash to do it. It has been a while though.
The dash pad comes off, and the idiot light bar has to come out, like Clark said. You should be able to eyeball what needs to come apart to get the lens out from that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just finished redoing my interior, including removing the entire dash. If you are going to take the whole thing out there is one tricky spot, on mine (71 Chevelle) there was one last bolt holding the dash in which was behind the steering column. You have to undo the two bolts holding the steering column up so it will drop out of the way, revealing the one holding the dash in. Once this is undone the dash can be taken out to do any repair work you need.

·
Registered
262 Posts
71velle
You may be right, I think it might be possible to remove the bezel by removing the top bolts on the dash and flexing it away from the window. It was my first time and for me it was easier to just remove it.

Adam
Good catch, I forgot about that bolt.

Clark

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ahhhh! Be carefull! You can introduce all sorts of squeeks that'll drive you nuts if you dont get that bezel back in just right. I pulled the dash to swap a seep style with an SS. It's a bi*ch, but not impossible. You'll have to drop the column to get to the bolt right above it and you need to unbolt the plate on the firewall where the column comes through.

Now to get the scratch out of the plastic, rub with 3M Auto Cleaner-Polish. NOT #7 !

------------------
members.tripod.com/dfdolerjr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.