Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't get the dash out of my 72. The speedometer lens (sweep-style) is pretty dirty inside and I'm hyper-anal about my car, so I'll do anything it takes to clean it. What do I do and what should I clean it with? Thanx in advance!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where is the hang up? Of course there are all of the bolts. Then the spedo cable.

The clear lense can be cleaned as you would any type of plexiglas. Do not use soap on the face itself as the white letering can be washed away easily. Use a minimal ammount of water on a soft cloth to dust the face.

·
Registered
283 Posts
zero liquids on the face, a soft brush will do it without risk, lots of Joy dish soap and water on the plexi 100% cotten cloth only, an old baby diaper is good.
Harley

·
Registered
172 Posts
good advice Harley but, Maybe a new baby diaper would be better.
Sorry, I couldn't resist

------------------

–Joe–
"67 Malibu"

·
Registered
114 Posts
Haven't tried this, but read that Meguiars plastic cleaner and polish work pretty well on restoring newer-look to the plastic lenses. Only like 15 bucks for an 8-oz bottle of each if you're really particular about the look.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Meguiar's is excellent for that purpose. First the cleaner, then the polish. I've used it often. Works great on taillight lenses, too.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle #50 - Gold Member
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey 72CHEVELLE-

The best thing to use for the plexi is actually a product called plastic polish. I run my own detailing business and people are always asking how to buff out the scratches in their gauge faces. Most of them use glass cleaner, which doesn't work, unless of course the faces are glass!!!! That's why you should use plastic polish. A variety of companies manufacture this product. I purchased mine from Mother's. Like Harley said, use and old diaper, or an old t-shirt. Good Luck!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.