Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is notes from from my project - change the dash on my 1971 Chevelle Malibu, sweep dash. I pulled the whole dash and replaced it and the harness. Hopefully SOME of this will be useful; it would be great to have details like this for other years/models. I was so busy that I lost the ability to document it all the way through, and as some of the wiring had mods, I'm afraid it won't be perfect info for the process. However, I think it will help some people get it done easier... maybe!

(If anyone gets inspired to correct this, or catch details I missed - let me know and we'll update or repost. It would be SO great to have most things done with this level of detail; hundreds of windshield installs, air conditioner deletes, dash removals, etc. that could be documented this way.)

Details in the next post....

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1971 DASH REMOVAL:

- Disconnect parking brake handle
- Pull out radio and disconnect wiring
- Remove under dash meters, ground wire (ADDED).
- 6 screws on dash pad (4 above instr panel, 2 inside glove box)
- kick panels out

STEERING COLUMN:

- remove steering wheel (puller tool needed, use loosened nut at end for holding pin at center)
- plastic panel under steering column (4 screws)
- underneath steering column, four ½” bolts hold up
- underneath are two more 9/16” nuts, column drops finally
- Right side of column: remove cable mounted for PRNDLL

DASH FRAME:
Held on by five 7/16” bolts
1) far Left
2) far Right
3) Center behind heater controls
4/5) one on each end underneath above L/R kick panels)
....and...
6) one small metric 10mm? (behind glove box attached to firewall frame)

Inside behind loose dash
- two ¼” screws hold in the 2 center A/C vents housing (screw on right side also hold in Heater control panel)
- carefully remove 2 center A/C vents housing
- Unplug two heater control plugs - forward one (Bl G Br) and rearward (Bl G Br as well)
- screws holding in heater control (one upper Right already out, one ¼” below Right, and two on Left side)
- bottom Left heater control screw is slightly below similar screw to hold in Speedo assembly. (Easier to see in pics) THIS left lower heater control is easier reached from below - thru radio hole.

- behind speedo - plug (P Bl Br)
- DIFFICULT screw holds last bracket of dash frame - it’s behind the speedo and above steering column. But loads from the rear (7/16”), I needed stubby rachet to get it loose.
- ground screw behind wiper switch on dash frame - two black wires are grounded to it with rings.
- unplugged cig lighter
- 2 dash harness clips hold wires to frame between cig lighter and glove box.
- one wire to electric door locks; right and left each (white/nonorig?)
- unplugged the bulb housings from speedo rear - black plastic frames that hold lamps; there are clips at each end of plastic, difficult to open
- tricky plugs on top side of steering column - need to lift metal retaining frame before plugs can be pulled.
- harness on side of steering column is easily unplugged.
- Speedo is held to dash by 6 screws. Two are Phillips screws through the top front of frame - from the steering wheel side. In the rear of speedo, there are two at the lower Right and Left corners, and two hidden underneath, just above the steering column hole.

- unhook parking brake handle
- unhook headlight pull and switch behind
- unplug washer switch (remove assembly later)
- disconnect Astrovent ducts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Why couldn't you have posted this before I started a dashharness replacement?

·
Premium Member
3,424 Posts
The infamous bolt under the steering colum got me. Kind of difficult to see it.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - too bad the scan quality is so bad. It's only b/w, shouldn't be that much trouble to post the files cleaner. As people have said - this wasn't around or easy to find; when I did my dash a year ago, I searched for ANY threads about dash removal, and saved every tidbit from the posts. Wonder why this one didn't turn up?

Maybe it needs to be a sticky? Are there others for other years?

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
A sticky or some other type of searchable tag would be a great idea. Wonder how we get that done.

I found it over a year ago when I was just beginning to scour the site for info and ideas. It was in the photo section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Blue71, I am thinking about redoing my dash on my 70 malibu chevelle. I was just wondering how long the whole process took you and how much did it cost you. I would love to put in a SS dash in mine but it cost so much for the kit. I am not trying to clone mine, just don't like that big rectangle for an odometer. Anyways was just wondering what all you did with yours. Some before and after pictures would be great. Thanks. Louie.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Blue71, I am thinking about redoing my dash on my 70 malibu chevelle. I was just wondering how long the whole process took you and how much did it cost you. I would love to put in a SS dash in mine but it cost so much for the kit. I am not trying to clone mine, just don't like that big rectangle for an odometer. Anyways was just wondering what all you did with yours. Some before and after pictures would be great. Thanks. Louie.
I thought it would take a weekend. WRONG. It would have (one long day figuring how to get it all out, change the harness and put in the new dash - I had rebuilt three others into one GOOD dash). However, once inside, I found I needed to redo some insulation, fix tons of leaks in the AC/vent system, rust etc. Nightmare. So - took several days. Cost almost nothing as I did it myself, with used parts.

With these instructions posted here, it's WAY easier to start. You could do it in a lucky weekend. Mine stayed a Malibu (nonSS) sweep gauge dash. I just got VERY clean parts, and redid some of the lighting in blue (see thread) with some custom options of switches and stereo and alarm.

·
Registered
335 Posts
im getting ready to do this also,im just fitting aftermarket gauges in the ss dash,low budget swap,using old harnes,speedo,gas.We need to keep in touch.

·
Premium Member
1,192 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
I think it is easier to take the complete wiring harness out with the dash. Actually if you have everything ready and do not need any other repairs you can change one in a few hours.

Nelson

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I was told it is only a 6hr job. Yea and I spent more time trying to find all the little parts that were missing. Not to mention all the time spent looking at all the seperate wire diagrams.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe, it's like any project, the little things slow you down FAR more than the main thing....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts