Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I am rather new to the Chevelle world. I am into a full blown restoration project on a '72 that needs a lot of work. I have hopefully a simple question, in fact I am a little embarrassed to even ask, but the attaching mechanism for the dash is a bit of a mystery. I have removed all of the obvious screws, bolts etc. but the dash seems as firmly fastened as ever. What am I missing? Is there some little trick or hidden fasteners that I am overlooking? Thanks for input/enlightenment in advance.

------------------
TKG2000

·
wagons rule!
3,249 Posts
you have removed the dash pad right?
I think there is only 6 screw holding the entire dash on. oh did you drop the steering column?

------------------
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons haul A$$ in style! "The Chopped Suburban". to see some goto
www.EINSTYN.com FO_FDYFO = four-fifty four! TC#1460, VCEA#2

·
Registered
226 Posts
What a coincidence! I just did this on my '70 yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind. Use the search to get more info. I believe there are 6 bolts holding it in after you get the dash pad off (1 is above the steering column). The hardest part was disconnecting all of the wiring connectors. I have a malibu idiot light dash, and couldn't figure out how to get them out. Turns out they just snap in. I used a screw driver to pry the tabs and it came out.

------------------
Randy Johnson
70 Chevelle
[email protected]
1.766 60 ft.

·
Registered
170 Posts
TKG-

Since you've started your full blown restoration, I suggest you might want to invest a little into a service manual and a body manual. It will save you lots of time and aggravation by providing drawings. Well worth the money. There are lots of them available on E-bay. Just type in +1972 +Chevelle. Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck,
Bill

------------------
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey i had the same problem just two weeks ago. i had the fortune of having a dash out of the car when i was taking my malibu dash out. there is a screw that is facing up (while laying on your back under the steering column) on top of the steering column. the only way to get at it is to unplug both wire plugs on top of the steering column. after you unplug them both you need a short wrench to sloooowly untighten it. from there you will have some heater plumbing (passenger side) to get loose but that is easy. good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.