Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 67 Chevelle I'm doing frame off restoration. I have worked my way up to the dash/windsheild area. I need help with Windshield Reinforcement Section & Dash Repair Section, unable to find any material on this subject on sites most visited. Your help most appreciated thanks Don.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the post. did you purchase both items Part #: 50-204572-1
Chevelle Windshield Reinforcement Section, 1964-1967
&Part #: 50-204571-1
Chevelle Dash Repair Section, 1966-1967 ?
these are from Eklers. I purchased both and need info on how it was installed. Adhesive? What type? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
the first one is the strip between the the cowl grille and windshield. you must remove whats left of the old one, then weld it back onto the cowl. I am sure you will need to do rust repair around the cowl where it welds. the second one I never seen before

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
The first on is the outer/exterior portion of the window channel and body, which typically rusts... This get painted body color and goes between the windshield/trim and the cowl vent. You will need to add studs or screw holes for the windshield trim clips.

The second piece is actually the front edge of the dash (you can see the edge of the defroster vent cutouts). This second piece welds to the first piece. Its the metal seen when looking through the windshield, just in front of the padded dash pad. Since this piece is attached to the first piece, it also starts to typicaly rust...

Never had to replace both of these yet ( one nice thing about California cars), so not sure if the pieces overlap or abut...

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Instead of using the dash reinforcement piece you listed, I replaced the entire upper dash. It is pretty easy, and way less finish work than welding in the piece you list, then working it out. I used this AMD part - 465-3467

·
Registered
625 Posts
when you fit the the piece between the cowl and the dash be sure and use your cowl panel to help align that piece. While it seems quite obvious how to align it relative to the dash and fenders, there are slots in it that the cowl panel slips into and ultimately aligns the cowl panel. Off an 1/8" or so and your cowl panel may or may not align properly. You may have already knew this but I figured better safe than sorry...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The first on is the outer/exterior portion of the window channel and body, which typically rusts... This get painted body color and goes between the windshield/trim and the cowl vent. You will need to add studs or screw holes for the windshield trim clips.

The second piece is actually the front edge of the dash (you can see the edge of the defroster vent cutouts). This second piece welds to the first piece. Its the metal seen when looking through the windshield, just in front of the padded dash pad. Since this piece is attached to the first piece, it also starts to typicaly rust...

Never had to replace both of these yet ( one nice thing about California cars), so not sure if the pieces overlap or abut...
Hey I have a California car and I have rust under the windshield support channel, and that material does not or is unable to be removed I believe I will have to fabricate this material, I will keep seeing if there Sheetmetal to try and buy I would prefer this as to try and make it, but will see.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts