Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1972 GMC sprint, does anybody out there know a good book to get that can help me figure out the wiring codes/colors for my dash??

My turn signals dont work, and also the light behind my speedometer/fuel guage doesnt light up, yet my gear indicator light does. My speedometer works, but my fuel guage doesnt, though i equate that to a bad sender. Ah, and the in cab lights dont work either...seems like a wiring nightmare.

-Dave

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Pick up the Haynes Chevelle book. Number 625 available at places like Pep Boys for around $15.00. It tells you how to take the dash pad off for access. It has a basic schematic. Don't assume your fuel gage problem is the sender. Troubleshoot the problem.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My '70 Elco had the same problem when I bought it. I did my best to figure it out and never did. I was told that it was a break in the dash board and it needed replacement. I was also told this is quite common in '70-'72 dashes.

Instead of spending money on the problem, it gave me the excuse to do a custom dash with Autometer gauges. It beats mounting extra gauges under the dash. With the custom setup all my required gauges are in-dash.... nothing under the dash.

------------------
Cable
-'70 El Camino Solid Roller 454
-'87 Camaro Z28 roller 383

"He who dies with the most toys.....still dies...."

www.CVSRacing.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had a similar problem in my 81 ElCamino. Some gauges worked, some didn't. On mine, the dash panel that holds the connector where the instrument panel plugs into had warped a bit due to heat and age I guess. This was allowing only a portion of the printed circuit sheet to actually make connection with the black connector in the dash panel. I put some rubber shims behind the dash panel so it would stay in place and this corrected my problem.

Don't know if your works the same way. Good luck to you, electrical problems are a nightmare. Took me a week and lots of help from this forum.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.